OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SILENT SPRING?????--Not in North NJ and ORANGE And ROCKLAND CO, NY

Started by quavers59, April 05, 2016, 12:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

OUTDOOR LIFE in their APRIL issue ran a interested topic on page 58---SILENT SPRING. It does not apply to my area however!! I live in Orange County, NEW York and I also hunt in NEW JERSEY. The wild turkey population is at VERY HIGH levels in these areas. I hike all year in Sterling Forest State Park just north of the Jersey border as well as Ringwood State Park in PASSAIC CO- NJ. Stewart State Forest in Orange County has a high turkey population as well. Yes- these are public areas. TEANECK,NEW JERSEY was on the local news last night. Large flocks of wild turkeys in yards and roosting on houses. Plans are to trap some and move them to public hunting areas.
    I dont what is going on in western, NY or some of the Southren states- but in reading(once again) WAYNE BAILEY'S book- 60 years of hunting. I agree with what he wrote on page 157 of his book-Chapter 21-FINAL THOUGHTS. Curbing legal AND ILLEGAL immigration is vastly important. I got his signed copy on 3/3/2003. He also wrote that turkey hunter numbers would continue to increase.
    My own thoughts are that all states soon should have a (2) gobbler limit in the Spring. The smaller states should stay at (1). 

TrackeySauresRex

The last two seasons been some tough springs for me in Chenango county NY. I hope they rebound.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

madstrutter

Quote from: quavers59 on April 05, 2016, 12:31:26 PM
OUTDOOR LIFE in their APRIL issue ran a interested topic on page 58---SILENT SPRING. It does not apply to my area however!! I live in Orange County, NEW York and I also hunt in NEW JERSEY. The wild turkey population is at VERY HIGH levels in these areas. I hike all year in Sterling Forest State Park just north of the Jersey border as well as Ringwood State Park in PASSAIC CO- NJ. Stewart State Forest in Orange County has a high turkey population as well. Yes- these are public areas. TEANECK,NEW JERSEY was on the local news last night. Large flocks of wild turkeys in yards and roosting on houses. Plans are to trap some and move them to public hunting areas.
    I dont what is going on in western, NY or some of the Southren states- but in reading(once again) WAYNE BAILEY'S book- 60 years of hunting. I agree with what he wrote on page 157 of his book-Chapter 21-FINAL THOUGHTS. Curbing legal AND ILLEGAL immigration is vastly important. I got his signed copy on 3/3/2003. He also wrote that turkey hunter numbers would continue to increase.
    My own thoughts are that all states soon should have a (2) gobbler limit in the Spring. The smaller states should stay at (1).

Lol 2 gobbler limit... that's funny.

Bowguy

The population in Northern NJ and lots of Orange County is way down. Southern Jersey has a population high.,This year is better up north.  I remember seeing flocks of 100birds sometimes n 60-80 was common. Been 15-20 years since its been like that. Now Flocks of 20 are worth calling a friend over.,
This year seems a slight rebound but overall numbers are still down. Numbers are numbers and it cannot be disputed. Some small areas are ok but it's not the norm. Been at it 35 years so the ups n down have been noticed.
The problem w the state of NJ is there are a few good pockets of game and seasons are set/ claims are made over them., very bad ideas n management. Look what it's done to the game populations. It's a disgrace.,
The federation recently called an emergency meeting w the fish game regarding extreme low deer populations in the state. They were gonna give it back to local chapters for recommendations.,
I called the Sussex co federation  pres. He was smug when I talked to him exclaiming "huh I saw more deer this year firearm season than ever," like it's the rest of the guys can't hunt. One good year n he didn't say what he normally sees but instead of judging a state he is using one herd in one single area to make his exclamations. Sorry to vent but it's disgusting.
Game in northern nj as a whole is way down from what it was

quavers59

BOWGUY---I am almost tempted to take you on a scouting run on a pre-dawn SAT. These areas that I have heard and seen tons of wild turkeys is all on public land in Orange County,NY and North ,NJ. I am talking upwards of 20 areas with a high turkey population. I hike year-round, so I see alot more then the average turkey hunter. I was out 2 hours and 20 minutes this morning.
    There is a HUGE flock in PASSAIC County that gets fed by a local homeowner. I need to be quiet about where. The NEW TOWNHOUSES behind where I live now sees turkeys moving through close and getting fed birdseed.  These owners of new townhouses and the dozens and dozens of new 350,000+ homes have owners who will feed the turkeys.  Small pockets of woods -then townhouses-more woods and new homes- yet more small pockets of woods. Obviously -turkeys cannot be hunted in these areas and from what I see, the population is going WAY UP.
   I still think that the states that have a 3 or 5 gobbler limit in the Spring may have to rethink this perhaps in 10 years time or less and reduce to (2). I agree with the late DWAIN BLAND. He wrote that before hunting a different state each Spring- he would check the SPRING TURKEY kill reports and add on 100% to come up with the figures that were probably right. Anotherwards- he would double it.  Madstrutter--what state do you live in?

Bowguy

You don't have to take me anywhere, we had this discussion before. Teaneck, Passaic county house animals arent what I'd hunt if I could. You told me there's a flock in your area. Fantastic. But making a blanket statement the population is very high in the whole north jersey is ridiculous. Especially if you haven't been all over north jersey. I live in a rural town in the northern part of the state. Of course turkeys are more visible m vocal this time of year but using your words it's not a  huntable area if it's behind houses. And I'll add if they're being fed/baited into an area you couldn't even hunt em if you wanted

Your saying the flocks are way up is incorrect imo. They may be somewhat up but you've claimed you're a long time at it n it doesn't seem you know what way up is.,
Not trying by any means to disregard what you're saying but the time you say you spend in the woods may significant but I'm in it every day often looking for game.
Again I'll say one good flock in one area does not constitute the whole area.

lmbhngr

This is going sideways quick so I'll keep this brief. If the birds are getting fed everyday in the same congested areawouldn't it seem there was a ton? Therefore, leasing one to believe that the numbers were way up ???

quavers59

Yes Bowguy- I do indeed remember talking with you about this on another site. No disrespect to you--but I disagree with you on many of your points. I stand by what I said.  I won't tellyou where I am seeing alot of wild turkeys as this is personal! As I said, I hike year round and know exactly what I am talking about. I hike all over Passaic County as well. Wild turkey populations are very high as I said.  I don't live in North Jersey as you. I live in Orange County and am in MANY different areas that you will never walk. So we agree to disagree .

Bowguy

Passaic county is limited even where you can go. It's also not real wooded. And again even if one area in one county is doing well it's not the whole north jersey. To think differently is not having a clue what you're talking about. I've lived in n jersey my whole life, outdoors is all I do. Don't even have Tv.
Glad you have a good area. Remember lots of gobbling is often jakes chain gobbling which can make things seem better than they are

quavers59

Bowguy--- of course where I Spring turkey hunt in Passaic County is very wooded!I know exactly what I am talking about!! Yes- I know all about jakes being together and gobbling in the Spring as does everyone on this site. I don;t just have 1 good area- but upwards of 20+ in New York and New Jersey!
     I have written 3 books on turkey hunting and so, I am outdoors as much as possible as well. I once again stand by what I said. The Wild Turkey population is VERY HIGH in Orange County, Rockland County- both in NY as well as Passaic County in North NJ.

M Sharpe

Since the GA population is down, I'm looking forward to coming to the northern part of New Jersey to hunt!!  ;)
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!