turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gun Case for traveling?

Started by ncwoodsman, April 05, 2016, 09:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncwoodsman

I am traveling to Kansas for my first out of state hunt next week. My question is do you think my aluminum gun case locks are sufficient enough to pass the airline checked baggage or would I need some type of more secure locks such as a combination? This case has 4 of these locks with a small key and no other place to add a lock. Anybody traveled with this type of case or have any advice? Thanks in advance!

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/kjernigan68/media/Case%20Lock_zpslqmxlh7b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Bill Cooksey

I've flown, with firearms, all over North America, but my cases had external locks. Unless something has changed, combination locks aren't allowed as the would prevent TSA from opening your case should the need arise after you have left the gun with them. They have master keys for all TSA approved locks, and that's the only possible problem I see. I suggest calling the airline and also checking with TSA just in case.

ncwoodsman

Ok, thanks for the good information and I will contact TSA.

cornfedkiller

Obviously your best bet is contacting the TSA, but I'm pretty sure those locks on your latches are all you need to fly.  And from what my research tells me, you arent supposed to use "TSA Approved" locks.  Combination locks and just a regular padlock work just fine, because only you are supposed to be able to open it. They may want to look inside your case to be sure the gun is unloaded at check-in, but FAA regs say that only you can have access to the case and it cannot be opened without your presence.

Let us know what you find out when you talk to the TSA!

Bill Cooksey

Killer,
Good info. I know there were some changes back after 9/11, and that was the height of my travelling days. I recall being sent to an airport gift shop to buy "TSA Approved Locks" to replace my old ones before they'd allow the case on the plane. I just kept them ever since. Obviously rules have probably changed a hundred times since those tumultuous days.

xarcher

here is the TSA link
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition 

I have checked weapons maybe 100 times in my life.  Have seen the old rules, new rules and all the rules in between.  I use TSA locks now but I am 99.9% sure you can still use your own key locks or combo locks or the locks like you have shown in your picture.  Also I believe that TSA can break into you gun case if they have good reason to, thus trashing your locks.  However, a few years ago when I had external keyed locks, I checked my gun then went to the gate.  Was paged shortly afterwards and TSA wanted to look inside my gun case and asked for the keys.  The one  litmus test that I have seen (and been burned by in the past) is that the case has to be sturdy enough when locked to prevent someone from sliding their hand inside and pulling out your gun.  About 6 years ago, I had a rectangular Plano hard plastic case (not the thin plastic scabbard style case) that I had checked maybe 40 times.  But in this case it got rejected because the TSA agent showed me how he could force the end of the case open and reach his hand inside.  Really screwed up my trip as I had to go rent a car, drive to Walmart, buy a case and catch a later flight.  But when I got home, I went to the TSA website and at that time it clearly showed that these type of cases are not allowed.  So I drilled a small hole in each end of the case and now put a lock on each end. 

I bought a Pelican 1750 a couple of years ago and use TSA locks now.  That Pelican has been checked maybe 20 times and only has a few scratches to show for it.  If you think you will be doing this regularly, bite the bullet now and hopefully you will never have to worry about it ever again. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: cornfedkiller on April 05, 2016, 11:51:44 AM
And from what my research tells me, you arent supposed to use "TSA Approved" locks.  Combination locks and just a regular padlock work just fine, because only you are supposed to be able to open it. They may want to look inside your case to be sure the gun is unloaded at check-in, but FAA regs say that only you can have access to the case and it cannot be opened without your presence.
This is my understanding as well, that strict adherence to the regs requires that only you have the key or combination. Technically, they aren't even supposed to open the case. You are supposed to open it for them if they want to look inside.  But I wouldn't fight them on that one.  I really don't want anyone, including TSA staff, to be able to get in my gun case without me knowing about it.  I use a Pelican 1700 breakdown case with two external padlocks, identically keyed.   I bought a set of 4 identically keyed locks, so if the TSA decides for whatever reason they need to cut the locks, I have the spare set with me in my carry-on. 

ncwoodsman,   your case might be legal, I really don't know, but I would be leery of using it, primarily because those small built-in locks can be pretty flimsy and easily hacked or picked. 

ncwoodsman

Thanks so much for the great feedback fellas. I believe after doing some serious thinking and listening to your comments I am going to purchase a Pelican case as some of you have mentioned. I would hate to loose my old turkey gun because I was being cheap. It will also give me a piece of mind and can be used for the next trip as well.

black42

My son just flew back from GA to TX with this case:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Weather-Tactical-Case-42-Inch/dp/B00E2217I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459898372&sr=8-1&keywords=plano+extreme+gun+case
We purchased 2 locks with the same keys at wally world and didnt have any problems.

ncwoodsman

Nice! Looks very affordable and certainly worth looking into. I'm still going to checkout the Pelican line up as well. Thanks!

JK Spurs

I have a Bone Collector case with built in external locks. It's heavy duty and has worked great for me on the few flights I have been on. It would save you about $50 over the Pelican.
I like my turkey well peppered

crenshawco

Buy once, cry once. Pelican is the best

ncwoodsman

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Pelican case is my first choice and SKB cases are my second.

Buy them now and save yourself the agony and cost of replacing damaged gear in the future.

kjnengr

Quote from: xarcher on April 05, 2016, 01:43:30 PM
here is the TSA link
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition 

I have checked weapons maybe 100 times in my life.  Have seen the old rules, new rules and all the rules in between.  I use TSA locks now but I am 99.9% sure you can still use your own key locks or combo locks or the locks like you have shown in your picture.  Also I believe that TSA can break into you gun case if they have good reason to, thus trashing your locks.  However, a few years ago when I had external keyed locks, I checked my gun then went to the gate.  Was paged shortly afterwards and TSA wanted to look inside my gun case and asked for the keys.  The one  litmus test that I have seen (and been burned by in the past) is that the case has to be sturdy enough when locked to prevent someone from sliding their hand inside and pulling out your gun.  About 6 years ago, I had a rectangular Plano hard plastic case (not the thin plastic scabbard style case) that I had checked maybe 40 times.  But in this case it got rejected because the TSA agent showed me how he could force the end of the case open and reach his hand inside.  Really screwed up my trip as I had to go rent a car, drive to Walmart, buy a case and catch a later flight.  But when I got home, I went to the TSA website and at that time it clearly showed that these type of cases are not allowed.  So I drilled a small hole in each end of the case and now put a lock on each end. 

I bought a Pelican 1750 a couple of years ago and use TSA locks now.  That Pelican has been checked maybe 20 times and only has a few scratches to show for it.  If you think you will be doing this regularly, bite the bullet now and hopefully you will never have to worry about it ever again.

I am quoting xarcher here to make sure as many people read this as possible.  Although I have not experienced this first hand, I watched this very thing happen to a guy checking in to his flight in front of me.  Make sure that your case has enough locks so that there is no way that someone could pry the case open to reach inside.  It can really screw your trip up either coming or going.

ncwoodsman, I think you chose wisely on that case.  After flying one to two times a year with guns, the aluminum cases shown in the original picture have bitten the dust after only a few trips.  I upgraded to a rolling SKB case and it has a couple of dents around the rim.  However, I bought one of those Plano cases and it looks like nearly like the day I bought it.  It is a good case for sure.