turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where's the line?

Started by C.Kimzey95, April 05, 2016, 12:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.Kimzey95

As I find myself 3 days in with several miles under my boots and relatively nothing to show for it I already am beginning to wonder if I'm taking this year way too seriously. All that's on my mind is daydreaming of when and where I'm gonna pull that trigger. I have a bad habit of taking hunting to a nearly unhealthy obsession almost to the point where the continuous failing starts to really get to me and make me question my knowledge and my skill. I get jealous of the guys who I see on my Facebook and Instagram who have gotten one to play the game and have been successful in doing so while I myself have not. I greatly enjoy being outdoors and hunting these stubborn birds but I often wonder if I sometimes take it too far in my quest to become a true turkey killer. Now all this being said in no way have ever taken it to the point where I just hated it, however I can really let it get under my skin at times. I have deer hunted a whole lot more than I've turkey hunted and never really seemed to have this kinda feeling about deer hunting. How many of you have gone through phases like this?

KYHeadhunter02

I have been known to feel that way during deer season. I've come to realize I'm not going to kill a trophy deer every year and accept it though.Turkey hunting is different for myself. I enjoy the awesome weather and Sun rises in the mornings. I've been known to take some naps when things are slow and relax. Hunting is a retreat from everyday stress and phone calls and I treat it that way. Sounds like you might need to just relax and be grateful to be able to get out in the outdoors. Things seem to fall in place when you relax and put things in the good lords hands. If I had to kill a bird on video for a show I would indefinitely feel the pressure and stress.

Indianayounggun

Don't feel alone. I am a twenty year old college student and for 4-5 months out of the year these birds rule my life. I miss weeks of class at a time and can't find a way to let it bother me. I will do anything to spend as much time as I can after them. I make it a point to have zero responsibilities in my life during March, April, and May. I try not to be jealous of others that I see on social media who are having success, but it does start to get to me when I am not able to be out chasing them and I see the others who are pounding on them. I am just too obsessed with it to miss any opportunity to be out after them. I am still really early into my season and already have well over a grand wrapped up in chasing them... luckily the early season southern states are much more proud of their tags and licenses than the late season western states I hunt! Haha. I sleep easy, though, knowing that this is my passion and I work all year long to make it possible for myself. Good Luck to you for the rest of your season as well!

Swampchickin234

There are times that I've began to get mad chasing ducks, turkeys and deer.  I've felt the same.  I thank if everyone is honest, they will admit they've been jealous.  And then I stop and think that I've been blessed enough to be able to chase the magnificent creation that the God almighty put before me, and I've felt ashamed.  If it gets to the point that you are as bad as I've been, it's time to do some soul searching. Hunting is my life.  And there have been times in my life that I have put it before God and family.  At the end of the day, that's not what's it's about.  Man sit back and just thank the good lord for letting you do what you do.  Killin one will come  you'll do it.    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

Yes... You are taking this way too seriously. Good news is, you're beginning to recognize it.

There are several phases in the life of a hunter; initially it's the quest to succeed. You're determined to kill something, anything, as long as it's legal, you just want to fill that tag. Next phase; you want to kill as many as legally possible, the "tagged out" phase. Usually following the tagged out phase, is the "trophy" phase. Now you want to kill the largest game available to you - a trophy buck, a big mature gobbler with a paint brush beard and nice long hooks. Sometimes the trophy phase gets mixed in with the tagging out phase, where you want to fill all your tags with trophy animals. Any one of these phases can lead to obsession and sometimes jealousy and envy of others.

Eventually comes the final phase of "contentment". You appreciate the hunt for all things; the sunrise, the sights, the smells, the opportunity to match wits with your intended game animal. When you get to this phase, the details of the hunt itself become just as, if not more so, important than the size of the animal you kill. You go out on each hunt to enjoy the hunt, pulling the trigger or releasing that arrow is a bonus. You can be happy for friends and family that are successful, and not feel pressure to show them your "grip & grin" picture of the one you killed. Often, you become more interested in helping others succeed before you get the chance to kill. You still want to kill, and that's why you carry a weapon - but it doesn't define your success.

Some hunters go through all these phases, some get stuck in one or the other. Sometimes hunters go forward and backward through the phases. No single phase is the "right" one... That is a personal decision, be it conscious or subconscious.

All this to say: you're normal. Don't let it get to you too much, and don't let it misguide you. Some obsessions are healthy, some not. Hunt safe, hunt hard, have fun!! :camohat:

spaightlabs

Focus less on being a 'true turkey killer' and more on being a great woodsman and turkey hunter. 

Don't worry about other guys that are posting grip and grin shots - that may come down to better skills or just a better location.

There seems to be a rush to get a turkey tipped over - be thankful you get to spend some additional time in the woods instead of resentful.

Slow down, enjoy the experience and the journey.

Spend time honing your woodcraft.  Leave your gun home sometime and focus on helping someone else get their bird - it changes your focus.  I have 2 hunters to help get their birds before I worry about mine - it is a very rewarding experience for me.

Good luck, grasshopper.

GobbleNut

Wow,...some really great responses here.  Well done all.

Gooserbat

It's called "turkey hate". Learn that woodsmanship and patience trump's everything except dumb luck.  Sure calling, cool guns and fashionable camo are nice but knowing when to call, how, when and where to shoot, and when to sit tight are what makes the killers stand out. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 05, 2016, 08:32:51 AM
Focus less on being a 'true turkey killer' and more on being a great woodsman and turkey hunter. 

Slow down, enjoy the experience and the journey.

Spend time honing your woodcraft.  Leave your gun home sometime and focus on helping someone else get their bird - it changes your focus.  I have 2 hunters to help get their birds before I worry about mine - it is a very rewarding experience for me.

Good luck, grasshopper.

This is good stuff^^^^^

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 05, 2016, 09:23:45 AM
Wow,...some really great responses here.  Well done all.

Agreed!  :)
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Happy

Turkey hunting or hunting in general should never be a competition with other hunters. Its you vs your quarry. I understand the desire to be as good at the game as you can possibly be, I have the same desire. However I could care less about being compared to any other hunters. It's really all subjective when it comes to comparing who is better than who and does it really matter? Not in my book.  Appreciate the journey and be the best hunter you can be. Appreciate the success, learn from the failure and above all else enjoy it. The only person putting pressure on you is yourself. The more you force things the more frustrated you become and it turns into more mistakes. As the sun rises on your next hunt I would encourage you to take a minute to thank the good Lord that you get to experience another morning pursuing these birds, clear your mind and just play the cards your dealt to the best of your ability and what happens happens. Whether you kill a bird or not it beats the heck out of work.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

101st501

Just this morning, I had two birds come in.  I thought it was a done deal.  I shot, and I missed.  This is my third season that I, so far, have not killed a bird.  I have gone through the same phases as steelerfan said.  But, the good news is, I learned something new from this mornings experience.  Just because you do not hear a bird does not mean he is not there.  It takes patience, which I am sorely lacking on.  But, I keep at it.  I get caught up sometimes in the latest and greatest "fads", but in the end, it comes down to turkey psychology.  Be where he wants to be, and sound like what he wants to hear, and good things will happen.  Don't give up or get frustrated.  Just know that you have the ability to do what you do.  Some of the other folks here have mentioned the Lord and His blessings.  Be thankful that you have the opportunity and ability to simply get out of bed every morning under your own power and can go and hunt these great birds.

kdfester

[quote  Learn that woodsmanship and patience trump's everything except dumb luck.
[/quote]
Very well said.

Bill Cooksey

Good stuff about "stages." Every turkey hunter, at every stage, will have times they just feel beat up. I've killed a whole lot of turkeys, and I've called in at least as many for others, and I'll still feel flat beat up every now and then. It gets under your skin.

That said, strive to reach a point where you realize you had a great hunt even when the turkey wins. I'm not talking about the days when the woods are just dead. Those are, at best, just a day spent in the spring woods, and that's not all bad either. I'm talking about the days you and a turkey play the game and he comes out ahead. Appreciate the great hunt you had and just understand it's part of the game.

Hunt enough, and you'll have stretches where you can seem to do no wrong. I've had whole seasons where it was like I never took a step out of place and every decision worked out right. Those were usually followed by a season with a long and frustrating dry spell. They humble us all at times.

C.Kimzey95

Thanks fellas. I took this morning to sleep in and slow my roll a little bit. I have really enjoyed reading all your responses this morning. Glad to know I'm not the only one who can get a little carried away at times (and that it's somewhat normal haha). I definitely lack in being thankful that I get to do this sometimes, it is something I need to take some time and work on. As well as patience. I often times feel as much land as have around me to hunt (a little private, a whole lot public) that I should be able to go until I find a bird that wants to do something but that has not been the case yet, so that is something I also need to work on.

mbecnel

As my son said....................

Josh Becnel at Kisatchie National Forest.
April 3 at 3:49pm · Instagram ·
Didn't kill anything, but what a beautiful place! I'll definitely be back for deer season! ?#?kisatchie?

It's not about the kill but the journey