OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crystal mistress surface question

Started by RiverRoost, April 04, 2016, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Those of you that run the mistress, do you have to keep conditioning it pretty often? If I condition it up before a hunt, it's not long into that hunt that it seems like the surface gets "slick" and the striker kinda starts slipping and sqealing. Anybody else run into this?

I've used some fine sand paper too during the hunt bc my stone sounds so loud trying to recondition during a sit.

RiverRoost

Also, should I do anything to the tip of striker to maybe make the call play a little better

Jroddc

Try 80 grit drywall screen cut into a small square that also works

SteelerFan

That sandpaper may smooth out the surface too much. I use stone / or screen. And truthfully, the stone probably isn't as loud as you think at 100 yds, and I'd say if you know a bird is closer than that, then it's not the time for conditioning!  :gobble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpZbbfizMVA

wvmntnhick

All I use is the Primos slick stick. It's got the rough sandpaper side to it and then a finer stone on it. Once conditioned, I bet I could darned near hunt an entire WV season with it so long as I keep the striker conditioned. I've played mine a ton at the house. More than I'll ever touch it in a hunt. Heck, more than I'd touch it in a week of hunting. It's been conditioned only twice. I've found that the Yingling black locust striker and the John Sinclair spectraply require less conditioning on that surface. However, the halloran yellowheart that came with it sounds the best on it (for me anyway) so long as I go through and make sure that I smooth it out some.

Bowguy

Idk my mistress always runs. Best Crystal/glass surface I have when it comes to that. Roughed it up good n it just stayed good. Had it many years n almost never touch it up

goblr77

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 04, 2016, 12:51:57 PM
All I use is the Primos slick stick. It's got the rough sandpaper side to it and then a finer stone on it. Once conditioned, I bet I could darned near hunt an entire WV season with it so long as I keep the striker conditioned. I've played mine a ton at the house. More than I'll ever touch it in a hunt. Heck, more than I'd touch it in a week of hunting. It's been conditioned only twice. I've found that the Yingling black locust striker and the John Sinclair spectraply require less conditioning on that surface. However, the halloran yellowheart that came with it sounds the best on it (for me anyway) so long as I go through and make sure that I smooth it out some.

I use the primos slick stick as well. Works great.

Stump.270

I would take 220 grit to that striker also 80 grit emry or 120 for the crystal i think it may be your striker bud just run the paper over the top lightly turning it every pass u should only have to condition that surface once or twice a hunt if it's misty or dew is setting there is nothing that can be done about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk