turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

and so it begins...

Started by VaBoy, April 04, 2016, 09:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaBoy

Took my 10 year old out Saturday morning for the youth weekend in Virginia. It was his second year after missing a big bird last year. Set up in the blind with the dekes out front in a big rye field to be greeted to sprinkles of rain a less than a handful of gobbles on the roost. Hens chimed in after a few and then silence after everything flew down. Sat and called sporadically till 9:00 when he was ready to leave. Packed up everything and loaded it in the truck and I convinced him to take a little walk around the low end of the property. Ended up down by the river and finally got a hen to answer across the river. Mad scramble to get set up and after about 10 minutes he say's he he see's a turkey across the river. 5 minutes later I glimpse a strutter and figure that is our reward from the turkey gods for being persistent. Few minutes later I see wings and look and the hen has flown the river and is searching for us and a couple minutes after that we watch the strutter come to rivers edge walk down the bank and fly across just as the sun breaks thru the clouds , another sign if your a spiritual person.We watched him strut at 40 yards in front of us for about 10 minutes till he decided to follow his hen who is at 6 steps from us and struts toward us. Took some serious scrambling on our part due to a steep downward angle and both of us vibrating from excitement but finally got the dot lined up and he smoked him at 10 steps, not even a flutter. Much tears , high fives and hugs followed. SO proud of him and also got it done old school too with no blinds or decoys. He is hooked....

TauntoHawk

Awesome!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tomstopper

Nice. Nothing beats taking a youngster out and watching them achieve success. Congrats to you both.

renegade19

SteelerFan

owlhoot

wmn2

steveo

:icon_thumright: way to go !! That's awesome........ Congrats.

Dr Juice

hs strut

congrats get em hooked young.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

Swampchickin234

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

VaBoy

ilbucksndux

I love hunting with my kids. Congratulations to you and your son.
Gary Bartlow

OldSchool

That's great, a big congrats to you both!! :z-guntootsmiley: Thanks for sharing.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.