turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

ROUGH opening weekend

Started by C.Kimzey95, April 03, 2016, 10:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.Kimzey95

Saturday was a complete and total bust here in middle TN. Hunted hard the whole day and just could not pull anything together, even failed to hear a gobble. Walked several miles to no avail. It was one of those days. Sunday started off with nothing until birds hit the ground. Had one light up at about 200 and all of the sudden there were gobbles coming from nearly every direction. Got one to answer 3 times and he got cut off and I couldn't talk the hen into a fight. Then the highlight of the weekend was my buddy missing a coyote at 20 yards and me rolling it at 47 (ranged). Hunted hard til nearly 5 o clock after all that and never even mustered one into a courtesy gobble. It's my 8th season and has by far been the hardest opening weekend I've ever had. I've seen a few of you TN guys connected! Hope everyone's season is going better than mine so far! Ha! Good luck to all!

TN Beard Buster

Hey Casey. Kevin Currin here!! Your weekend sounded like mine, minus the coyote down!! I hunted AEDC both mornings and private both afternoons. Zero gobbles and only one sighting as a bird flew from a tree as I was walking in this morning!! I pray it gets better!!

C.Kimzey95

Hey man! Yeah it was tough for sure. Had a friend connect on one at AEDC, after his wife had missed one earlier that morning. I think the worst part of it was I had several buddys or just people I knew whack one and I just couldn't seem to find one willing to play the game the entire time!

MouthCaller

I had nearly the same weekend with less gobbles and missed the yote... its been tough so far for sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

C.Kimzey95

Hope it gets better for you mouthcaller! Headed to try n whack one this morning!

davisd9

Weekends like this humble us and makes us appreciate the good times even more!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

C.Kimzey95

That would be correct! Got a few birds gobbling on there own right now! Tryna make something happen !

OldSchool

Quote from: davisd9 on April 04, 2016, 07:27:14 AM

Sent from the Strut Zone

Absolutely. Without the bad times, we wouldn't appreciate the good times as much as we do. The good times are coming buddy, Good luck. :icon_thumright:

I almost forgot, congrats on the coyote.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

C.Kimzey95

That's absolutely right Oldschool! And thanks !

TnRidgeRunner

Same here in southern middle TN. They'd gobble on the roost then play hushmouth the rest of the day. Ended up getting one, but he never even gobbled....

tomstopper

Quote from: davisd9 on April 04, 2016, 07:27:14 AM

Sent from the Strut Zone
:agreed:

C.Kimzey95

Tnridgerunner, what part of southern Middle tn? I am in Lynchburg Tn!

cuttinAR

I was at private land this weekend near Pleasantville and it was just as you described.  Just a few gobbles in the morning first thing then nothing all day.  Could hear for miles on Sunday and only heard one.  Had a couple gobble in the evenings but right before flyup.  Did call up multiple jakes so that's good news.

I'm planning to come back sometime this year but not sure when.  Best I could tell they are locked up with hens right now pretty bad and just in the lull.  Would that be right?  Planning on first weekend of May thinking that most hens will be setting then.

hs strut

Quote from: C.Kimzey95 on April 03, 2016, 10:09:14 PM
Saturday was a complete and total bust here in middle TN. Hunted hard the whole day and just could not pull anything together, even failed to hear a gobble. Walked several miles to no avail. It was one of those days. Sunday started off with nothing until birds hit the ground. Had one light up at about 200 and all of the sudden there were gobbles coming from nearly every direction. Got one to answer 3 times and he got cut off and I couldn't talk the hen into a fight. Then the highlight of the weekend was my buddy missing a coyote at 20 yards and me rolling it at 47 (ranged). Hunted hard til nearly 5 o clock after all that and never even mustered one into a courtesy gobble. It's my 8th season and has by far been the hardest opening weekend I've ever had. I've seen a few of you TN guys connected! Hope everyone's season is going better than mine so far! Ha! Good luck to all!
my weekend was similar to yours. i was able to get several to talk but like you i would get cutoff or they would lose interest.i managed to take one this morning but that was only because i called one of his girlfriends away.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

jwright8

I was hunting with my little brother on Kentucky's youth this weekend as well. We had a hard time finding birds. Finally found a strutter with about 10 hens, I was able to call in the hens. The gobbler was coming with them, but it's tough for a 10 year old to sit super still and they seen us before the gobbler got into range.

I also agree tough times make the good times better.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk