OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crossbow question

Started by WNCTracker, April 03, 2016, 05:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Anybody want to give their best advice for turkey hunting with a crossbow?  I'm going to carry one for the first time this year.

Coachwate

Trying to figure that out myself. I have to use one on the private land I'm hunting per the land owner. I have used a ground blind and decoy setup. My advice, if you have a good vital shot DO NOT hesitate like I did. He jumped on my blind as I shot and hit him low, never found him. But good luck, I'm going back out with mine tomorrow on public archery only land see what happens.

JLH

My daughter is 2 for 2 with the xbow, and I shot one last season just to try it.

I normally just use a bow.

I have my bolts set up with a high f.o.c....92 grain brass insert and a 125 gr.  broadhead.
The gives me extreme accuracy, I'm not worried about penetration as the bold blows right thru em.

I like a 3 blade expandable, wasp jak hammer,  1 3/4" cut. And wait for a broadside shot.

What I have trained my daughter to think about is hitting them where the wing meets the body....or the upper part of the wing, above the brown bar....and that's where I aim with the bow as well.

Never had one go further than 10 yds hitting G them there.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dtrkyman

Shoot large cut 3 or 4 blade heads, 1 3/4 or more cut!  I would personally hunt just like with a shotgun, you obviously do not have to draw like a compound so I think it would be cool to run and X bow em! 

You can shoot the 100 grain magnus bullheads for head shots bit it may require some longer bolts and some specific set up for the bow, but it is cool to head shoot em!  They have videos showing you setup! 

kyturkeyhunter4

Take a look at the Barnett Black Spur guys it's a awesome crossbow. I bought one about a month ago it just weighs in at 6.5 pounds and only 18 inches wide and shoots 330fps. Smoking fast and light and compact for blind hunting. Hope to kill one this year with it, only got six more days to wait here in ky so hopefully I get to break it in Saturday.

Illini Tom

i hunt turkeys with my xbow just like gun hunting - sitting on a short-legged seat or a turkey lounger
i also use a shooting stick to cut down on movement when one is coming in
i use NAP gobbler getter expandable heads