OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TN opener has been great.

Started by birdyhunter, April 03, 2016, 12:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdyhunter

Got to spend a little time in the woods this weekend and had a blast. Plenty of gobbling, lots of hen talk and some time well spent with my kids. Had a very close call first thing Saturday morning. Tom flew down to me but hung up at 60 yards and would not take another step. Watched him strut for a half hr before his hens finally took him off. Came back that afternoon with my little girl for her first time hunting and called in a hen and one super jake that gobbled right in our face. No longbeards sat evening but we had a blast. This morning my oldest son and I hunted a few minutes before heading to church and it was another good morning. Lots of gobbling but no birds willing to cooperate. Had a hen fly down to us and put on a show with lots of yelping and cutting. No disappointment In not killing a bird as I've already killed in Florida and Alabama, just glad to be out in the woods passing on the tradition to my children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

That's awsome. Way to spend time with your children and pass on a love for the outdoors.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Drthorn

Love it..can't wait for my girls to get big enough.

kyturkeyhunter4

SteelerFan

wvmntnhick

Awesome man. How old is that lil girl? I'd never get mine to sit still long enough to get one in close. She's a rambler. Still cool to get them out though. Congrats on that.

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

tomstopper

Quote from: Happy on April 03, 2016, 01:13:25 PM
That's awsome. Way to spend time with your children and pass on a love for the outdoors.
:agreed:

birdyhunter

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 03, 2016, 03:22:47 PM
Awesome man. How old is that lil girl? I'd never get mine to sit still long enough to get one in close. She's a rambler. Still cool to get them out though. Congrats on that.
My little girl is 2 1/2 and my son is 4 1/2. They both do great it's just a matter of having little to no expectations of having a successful hunt and knowing when they have had enough. Take things to keep them occupied and make everything an adventure. Teach them everything you can while you're out there, from how to identify tracks and game trails to plant and animal species. Their young minds crave stimulation and education and if you can do that while still making it fun then you've already had a successful hunt. My son was 3 1\2 when he witnessed his first turkey kill with me and 4 when he saw his first deer get killed with a bow.

renegade19

Great pics!  You're doing it right!