OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First spot of the morning burned

Started by MouthCaller, April 03, 2016, 07:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

I finally heard one or two birds gobble on the roost this morning but no more than 3 or 4 times each and a long way off but I did set up on a spot I killed a bird at last season... I get the dekes set up and put my hoodie on because it was cold and started to call... I hadn't made 2 calls yet and heard something walking from behind me and to the right... I eased my head around and saw what was making the racket... a coyote was coming to my calls! Well I watched him get closer coming right through where I just came from and I knew surely he'd smell me but he didn't... having my gun in my lap and me being right handed and him to my hard right I knew I couldn't get a bead on him very quick. He got within 10 yards and got behind a tree and I made my move, grabbed my gun up out of my lap, swung to my right but he'd seen me and took off.... gave him 2 educational shots not to come to turkey sounds lol... Hard to hit those jokers running wide open! Well at least I tried anyway...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Be prepared to be dealing with that more often. I'm surprised it's the first time you've had that happen to be honest. While driving to Nashville a few years ago we saw 8 coyotes hit on the road in a one mile stretch. Coming back there were 5 more in a different one mile stretch. These weren't the only ones we'd seen but it was interesting to see them gathered up so tight like that at the time. It appeared as though TN had a healthy population indeed. Not real sure though. Could be a regional thing.

MouthCaller

Thinking back on it it's the second time that's happened while turkey hunting the last time was 5ish years ago

wvmntnhick

I'd be happy if that were all I'd seen it happen.

TRG3

There have been a few times that other gobblers ganged up on the tom I'd just shot, sometimes leaving only to return a few minutes later to give him another good flogging. That showed me that a shotgun blast is not something that ruins the area for turkey hunting. With oil wells back-firing, farm equipment, vehicles on the road, thunder, etc. I'm not sure that turkeys can identify a shotgun blast from other noises. I'd just stay put and keep calling, looking for gobblers to be sneaking in.

Gooserbat

I'd just threw a rock and run him off.  I'm not screwing up a turkey over a Yote.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

g8rvet

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 03, 2016, 06:42:38 PM
I'd just threw a rock and run him off.  I'm not screwing up a turkey over a Yote.
I have done the same and everyone I know gets mad at me. 

Last year my two nephews went hunting. One forgot his gun but said he would go anyways and call.  Nephew B  killed a bird (one out of two) and they high five and look him over.  On the walk out (on a 125 acre piece of land) they walk down to track the other food plot - not 300 yards through the woods from where they killed the bird.  There are 2 hens and a strutter heading to them. They sit down and call the hens in and the Tom follows and Nephew A kills him.  Less than 30 minutes after the shot and not 300 yards from where the other was killed. 

You are fine.  If they SEE you, whole different story. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

MouthCaller

Maybe should've stayed put a tad longer than 30 mins after I shot but I hadn't heard a bird on that property that morning so I was definitely wanting to take the yote out... if I'm working a bird it might be different but I'm not sure... I probably would've tried for the coyote but I haven't been in that situation yet...