OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do everything right and still no bird?

Started by Marc, April 02, 2016, 10:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

How often do you think you/we do everything right and still do not kill the bird?

I know I have done everything wrong and still killed a bird...  But there have been those close calls, or days with birds gobbling, that I do not think I would have done anything different, and wonder is someone with more knowledge or experience would have killed the bird?

Had it happen today for sure...  Birds in range, but due to brush, no shot...  They would not peek their heads past the hedge row.  I cannot think of anything I would have done different to kill them (outside of reaping), but I wonder if some of the better turkey hunters would not have figured out what to do?

How often do you think "it is what it is," and how often "if I had only..."????
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Spitten and drummen

You never know. I have had guys go in after me on a bird I could not kill to save my life and also I have went in and killed birds that had others pulling their hair out. That's just turkey hunting.  Learn something from every hunt no matter the outcome and you will absolutely get better. You catch that bird just right and you will kill him. Just can't never tell when it's that time. An old turkey hunter told me when I was starting out " son , when a turkey is ready to die , the only thing you can mess up is the shot. You can rub a rusty nail on a piece of tin and call him right in. When he ain't,  there is absolutely nothing you can do to convince him otherwise".
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

catman529

It's usually my fault if a birds in range and I don't manage to kill it. Sometimes they give us the slip though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Scratching the leaves can make em come closer, when all is lost gobbler  sounds or fights sounds often change things

ilbucksndux

That's why they call it huntin and not killin. There have been to many days that I did nothing wrong and still came home empty handed
Gary Bartlow

Cut N Run

There are definitely no gimmes in turkey hunting and gobblers play by their own rules. 

I've had a gobbler come in less than 10 feet behind me and could hear his wing tips dragging leaves. His drumming was loud enough to make my chest vibrate. After a while, he turned around and went back the way he came. He stayed behind me the entire time and never crossed into my line of sight.  So close, but so far away. That's turkey hunting.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

turkaholic

Quote from: Bowguy on April 03, 2016, 12:38:31 AM
Scratching the leaves can make em come closer, when all is lost gobbler  sounds or fights sounds often change things
.           This WORKS. Also gobble tube if your comfortable using it.
live to hunt hunt to live

TauntoHawk

I second guess what else could I have done better way more with deer, I might not even see more than one good shooter buck in archery. Turkeys I kick myself for an hour than I'm off to find the next day one

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wvmntnhick

The only time "what if?" Enters my mind is when I blow the shot. Otherwise, I'm not worried about it. No sense getting upset about it. As said above, if he wants to die, he will. If not, there's nothing you can do about it.

Happy

There are definitely times we do everything right and still don't succeed. But there are also times we succeed in spite of ourselves.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

HFultzjr

I think the better hunters (callers), have a knack for asking a Tom to move over a bit, yeah, right there in that opening where I can get a good look at you and see if you are my type........LOL
I can't seem to speak that language!

tomstopper

Quote from: turkaholic on April 03, 2016, 06:19:36 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on April 03, 2016, 12:38:31 AM
.           This WORKS. Also gobble tube if your comfortable using it.
Love using fighting purrs for this

Gooserbat

Lots of factors, calling skill, woodsmanship, patience, knowing when and where to move, but having luck on your side is awful important.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mgm1955

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 03, 2016, 10:36:39 AM
Lots of factors, calling skill, woodsmanship, patience, knowing when and where to move, but having luck on your side is awful important.
I'll always take luck. Gotta have that no matter what else you do perfectly.

Spurs

I had one bird that I got in range multiple times over a 3-4 year span on a property.  Sucker roosted in the same tree almost every time, except the times I setup to kill him coming to the roost .  I threw everything at him; buddy hunt, gobble, decoy/no decoy, slip, crawl, etc.  sucker just had my number. 

Finally, one day I had a feeling.  I had to leave him about 830 later in the year.  He only had 1-2 hens.  I could tell he was amped up that year.  I went to class and when I returned about 1.5 hours later, there were fresh boot tracks and feathers in the parking spot (I was the only person allowed on the property).  Never had a turkey roost in that dang thicket again....but I did kill him partner he next morning...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!