OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tough season so far!!

Started by Coachwate, April 02, 2016, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coachwate

My season started out promising with permission to hunt some private land with a small flock. One catch though have to use crossbow. Well I got there heard him hammering in the adjacent field so let him be and slipped out and came back after lunch. I was told by land owner he usually shows up around 3 but his hens roll in around 1. I was sitting watching hens peck at my decoys and dusting when I heard him spitting and drumming. I had him at 10 yards and as a shot he jumps on my jake decoy. I hit him a little low but had a blood trail. After 3 hours of looking and light rain starting to pick up I had to leave. Went back out to look around one more time but never found him. I'll go back in a couple weeks let him get comfortable if he's still around. Yesterday went out in the rain, set my blind up in the wrong spot on the food plot. Got out to put my decoy had a 2 year old strutting. He caught my movement and slowly walked away. Went back today had a great set up where I know they have roosting, nothing. Not a peep! Walking out saw where people had been there on horses. Probably pushed the birds across the river. Have Monday off and it's supposed to be a nice day. We'll see if my luck will change.

whitemarlin

Sorry you didn't find him they hide good when hurt, if you had blood on the arrow and he didnt get bumped he's dead under something within 200 yds of where you shot him. Never had a bird with blood on the arrow that made it more then that and not be found most have been within 100 yds,
Good luck on your next setup.

RutnNStrutn

Tough break man. Sorry to hear that.

Coachwate

Quote from: whitemarlin on April 02, 2016, 01:57:32 PM
Sorry you didn't find him they hide good when hurt, if you had blood on the arrow and he didnt get bumped he's dead under something within 200 yds of where you shot him. Never had a bird with blood on the arrow that made it more then that and not be found most have been within 100 yds,
Good luck on your next setup.

I had a little blood on the fetching but nothing heavy. Did have a lot of blood in a couple spots as I tracked him. Going to do some scouting this week and head back there on Saturday.

OldSchool

No matter how hard we try to avoid it, things can happen. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

fallhnt

You have to shoot a turkey high when using a crossbow. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy