OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard problems

Started by Tennessee Lead, April 01, 2016, 08:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Lead

I checked my gun one more time this evening. Have just enough shells left to hunt me from the box of 3" 6's I was using.
About a month ago I grabbed another box of the 6's and also some 4&5 shot to experiment with.
Well I started to shoot one of the new box of 6 and I picked up a shell and it rattled bad!
I went through the whole box and every single one rattles and I'm not talking a little.
I'm scared to try them because I feel they won't perform correctly.
Would you contact Winchester about them?
I think they should replace them for me.
What should I do?

devin4484

Shoot em and not worry about it. 

briton

I had a box of 3.5 #5 that a few of the shells in the box I had to order rattled a little bit. I contacted Winchester customer service about it and told them the problem about the loose shot and it defeated the purpose of the resin if the pellets were not held intact with It. They were AWESOME and sent me two boxes even though I only requested that the one box be replaced. Give them a call, I bet they will fix you right up. They probably got dropped or thrown around In the shipping process from factory to store.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: briton on April 01, 2016, 09:19:00 PM
I had a box of 3.5 #5 that a few of the shells in the box I had to order rattled a little bit. I contacted Winchester customer service about it and told them the problem about the loose shot and it defeated the purpose of the resin if the pellets were not held intact with It. They were AWESOME and sent me two boxes even though I only requested that the one box be replaced. Give them a call, I bet they will fix you right up. They probably got dropped or thrown around In the shipping process from factory to store.

Good to hear I will contact them
Thank you

RutnNStrutn

Exactly what I would have done!! :icon_thumright: I agree, when it comes to Longbeards, if the resin is not intact, it defeats the purpose of the load.

Tennessee Lead

I have contacted Winchester.
They assured me that they should be fine. I'm going to shoot them and find out

owlhoot

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 02, 2016, 03:48:26 PM
Exactly what I would have done!! :icon_thumright: I agree, when it comes to Longbeards, if the resin is not intact, it defeats the purpose of the load.
Exactly, anyway good luck.

Fatbeard

This is what happened out of a box of longbeards. Sent them back via UPS we will see what they do
Had a few pellets roll out and inside my new SX3 and had to break it down and pulled 3 pellets out of the stock end. Would have been pissed if one of them would have messed up my new gun.
East TN Beard Buster

Tennessee Lead

Well I shot 2 of them. Big open pattern with lots of holes in it.
Would they kill a turkey? Yes probably but they aren't the quality they are supposed to be.

Bowguy

Had the same exact issue last year. They know it's a problem. Send them back n demand they compensate you, I did when I had the problem n they made it right. But they wanted damaged shells sent to them

Dr Juice

wvmntnhick

You know, I pushed hard for longbeards after seeing what they could do on paper at reasonable turkey ranges. It was amazing. Several guys have killed birds with them locally and they've been nothing short of impressive. And then this stuff started happening. Needless to say, I've switched to reloading my own turkey loads and I'm not going back anytime soon. Buddy of mine had one do the same in his Mossberg 500. A few of the pellets got jammed into the action somehow and he couldn't work the action again until he got it home to disassemble. Think I'll stick to what I've got and if I switch back to factory, it likely won't be longbeards again.

trkehunr93

I too was impressed with what longbeards were doing with lead patterns but I mentioned in another post that my biggest hesitation with them is the longevity of the resin.  Could it be a bad batch?  Who knows, I will continue to just use my Win HV 5's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Quote from: Fatbeard on April 08, 2016, 11:25:10 PM
This is what happened out of a box of longbeards. Sent them back via UPS we will see what they do
Had a few pellets roll out and inside my new SX3 and had to break it down and pulled 3 pellets out of the stock end. Would have been pissed if one of them would have messed up my new gun.
Been there and seen that problem too. All it took for some is a little pressure and POP.
Different batches and loads , Rooster xr also. 
Combine that with some loose shot rolling into your action -trigger assembly   :TrainWreck1:
That little plastic cover jammed up a Benelli.

Gooserbat

Another reason I'm now loading my own.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.