only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

4" magnum hunting load delayed again by Remington

Started by Marc, April 01, 2016, 05:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Another setback for the new 4" shells:

Remington Delays introduction of 4" Shotgun Shell

Remington has delayed the introduction of its new 12 gauge 4" MaxForce shotgun shell for an indefinite period of time.

The fault lies not in the shot shell but rather with Remington's new 870 12 gauge MaxForce Magnum Shotgun which is the only shotgun currently chambered for the new 4" shell.

When the shells finally reach the retail shelves, shooters will find two-ounce loads of shot in sizes 6, 4, 5, 3, 2, and BB. A propriety mix of non-toxic metals along with a new powder blend allows a muzzle velocity of 1,645 fps according to Remington engineers.

The 870 MaxForce had been thoroughly field tested at various locations in California during the 2015-16 waterfowl season. Local hunters were contacted at random and offered the use of the new shotgun along with a supply of the new 4" shells. The field testers raved about the new shells reporting knockdown power and they reported no malfunctions of the shotguns.

However a final serious of tests conducted in several northern and eastern states ran into problems with jambs and misfeeds. Remington was able to get to the bottom of the problem after viewing slow motion videos which showed that the northern shooters were "short stroking" the 870's longer pump action which wasn't allowing the proper ejection of spent shells and the loading of following shells.

Remington has concluded that California shooters are just naturally used to "long stroking" whereas their northern and eastern counterparts are only conditioned to "short stroking".

Read more at...

http://media1.fdncms.com/boiseweekly/imager/april-fool-switzerlands-spaghetti-harves/u/original/3442075/april-fools-day-4.png
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

Having been resigned to being a "short-stroker" all of my life, I cannot relate to the problem.  However, the mere thought of the pain that would be inflicted by a 4" shotgun shell would very likely make me forget about stroking at all.   ;D :toothy12:

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

OldSchool

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 01, 2016, 05:19:47 PM
Having been resigned to being a "short-stroker" all of my life, I cannot relate to the problem.  However, the mere thought of the pain that would be inflicted by a 4" shotgun shell would very likely make me forget about stroking at all.   ;D :toothy12:

;D ;D ;D ;D  I didn't see a hysterical laughter icon, so I gave you the grins instead, lol. I didn't even know they were coming out with a 4" shell. What next?

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

SteelerFan

Bowguy

This reminds me of the companies scrambling to come out w new rifle loads years ago. Anybody know where I can buy some .223 super shorts? How bout that new Nosler round? A .375 ultra? 4" shells, no one will buy them.
Another thing to consider is with all the new loads you often don't need 3-1/2". When the 3-1/2" came out there was reason to consider a bigger load. Another reckoning is that most of the manufacturers can't even make a reg gun without recalling it over n over. Sure there's some 4" want to have guys on here n no disrespect but what exactly advantage are we gaining besides sending some gun manufacturers son to college? This again is marketing 101

Marc

Did I do that?

Dr Juice

Unbelievable. Imagine the kick from this son of a gun :-)

If you can find one, how about a European 8-gauge?

Bowguy

jed clampett

This has to be a joke....if not its still a joke :TrainWreck1:

Marc

Did I do that?

OldSchool

Ya got me, lol.  ;) I only read the first couple words in the link as I was clicking on it.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Mike Honcho

I heard Winchester is working on a 6" 20 gauge load.

Farmboy27

Lol. I loved it!  Thought right away it was an April
Fools joke but it's so well written that I was starting to wonder a bit!