turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Missed.!!!!!

Started by contagious, April 01, 2016, 12:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

contagious

Not the way I wanted to start.!!!!!!!! One of those rare flash hunts on the first bird of the year, nothing all morning till 7.20 and he gobbled on his on. Slipped in the woods , set up in my chair pulled the mask up, called one time and he cut me off at 75 yards. With in one minute he is at 50 yards in full strut and coming my way fast , zig ,  zagging through the tree's in the bottom , pops out at 25 steps still in strut , I clucked loud one time to try and get him out of strut ,  he stopped and  I shot only to watch him fly away untouched as I picked up my chin off the ground.!!! Must have shot right over the top of him.!!!!! Less than fives minutes start to finish.!!! Still break down and cry two or three times a day , but will be back after them this weekend.!! Missed before but they were bad shot's and knew better when I took them.!! Heart pounding , short on breath , rushed it . If you don't get that way with every bird you need to quit.!!! Hunting the for over twenty years and still get the shakes when he shows up.!!! One thing about it , I will remember that hunt longer than most.!!!!!!!!

Spitten and drummen

Happens to us all . I missed one this year. First miss in 15 years for me. It's heartbreaking and I feel your pain. At least you will get to hear him gobble again.  I know when I kill one it's bitter sweet. Glad I killed him but sad he will gobble no more. Stand back up , brush yourself off and climb back on that horse. Good luck the rest of your season.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

OldSchool

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 01, 2016, 12:33:35 PM
Happens to us all . I missed one this year. First miss in 15 years for me. It's heartbreaking and I feel your pain. At least you will get to hear him gobble again.  I know when I kill one it's bitter sweet. Glad I killed him but sad he will gobble no more. Stand back up , brush yourself off and climb back on that horse. Good luck the rest of your season.

I couldn't have said it any better. Sorry to hear about your miss and as much as it stinks I'd rather have the memory of a bird missed than one running off crippled any day. It'll be that much sweeter now when you get him. :icon_thumright: Good luck.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

taylorjones20

Happens to us all...  I have missed a couple and they still haunt me!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

contagious

Yep, happens and I'm over it for the most part.!! And yes glad it was a clean miss. Have to remember to take that deep breath and put the bead on his chin.!!!! LOL  That was what I told a buddy on Facebook, missed him on propose, the hunt was too easy and this way I get to hunt him again, and told him he should try it" brings more joy to your hunting" He didn't buy it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

fallhnt

Keep your head up but down on the stock when hunting. :lol:
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Marc

I missed an easy one once...  He was about 15 yards away, with his head sticking straight up over a knoll, and I am certain I put it right over the top of him.  20 some years later, and I am still kicking myself over this bird, as it was one of the best birds I have ever had an opportunity on.

I have also missed some easy shots on waterfowl that I still remember with a sense of bitterness (some took place years ago, some last year).

I think we need to miss every once in a while to keep us on our game, and to keep it exciting, and to give us a little humility.

Shooting a turkey is always a bit anti-climatic, and a bit of a relief...  It ain't shootin' them that is normally the hard part, it is gettin' em' there to shoot.  I am always surprised that as the birds approach they do not hear me, as the closer they get, the more I sound like Darth Vador...  I am always relieved with the smoke clears and the bird is afloppin' on the ground.

Thank you for sharing, and making all of us feel a bit less embarrassed about our own misses. :OGani:
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

spaightlabs

My first 3 years of turkey hunting I would have given anything to have had a bird to miss!

I bet I hunted 60 days those first 3 years - heard a few, saw a couple, came close to having an opportunity to pull the trigger a few times.

In a way it is nice to have another opportunity to get after them. 

Good luck on the next rodeo my friend, and may many more opportunities come your way.

Dr Juice

The positive side is that you may be able to set up on him again!

BBD

I missed yesterday morning at 7:20.  Full strut at 20 steps.  Flat blew it.  First one I've missed...in a couple years and it hurt just as bad as I remembered.  Matter of fact I can tell you exactly there that miss was too, I could take you right to the top of the mountain in Missouri where it took place.   Drove all night to get there and 10 minutes after fly down missed a stud.  Broke my heart.   If you hunt long enough it happens.   Keep your head up and the next one will pay the price! 

Smooth_Operator

Keep your head up, it happens.  I called two big toms right into my buddy's lap this morning and he missed at 15 yards. He's sick about it, I'm sick about it.  But man what an experience, live to hunt him another day...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

Marc

Quote from: BBD on April 01, 2016, 02:33:00 PM
Keep your head up and the next one will pay the price!
NO! NO! NO!

Keep your head down (on the stock) when shootin' that next one!!! ;D
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Cottonmouth

Just chalk it up as a learning experience.  Everybody misses, I've missed some that haunt me from 10 yrs ago. It will teach you to concentrate more on making the shot.

Happy

Missed a chip sit myself about 4 years ago and then another I sold have had two years ago. One of those is still hurts a little to this day. It's part of the game. If you haven't missed then you haven't killed many either. Good luck on round two.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RutnNStrutn

Nothing I can say will make you feel better, so I won't even try. As others have said, if you hunt long enough, it will happen. All you can do is get back out there and shoot one!! :fud: :turkey: Good luck!!