turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally

Started by bmhern, March 31, 2016, 07:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmhern

Had a rough couple of years, I tore my rotator cuff last year, so I lost last season. I was really pumped about this year. The second day of this season I tore my right knee up, could barely walk. Well that was 2 weeks ago, I've been going nuts sitting at home but I'm slowly starting to get around a little better. Yesterday, I couldn't take it any more, I'm going to the woods, shotgun on my shoulder, cane in my hand. I know I can't chase one, just thought I might hear one close by.  Don't hear anything after going to a few spots, so I'm just tracking the roads. Going to check a different spot  and  the rain has washed the road out. Now usually I park there and walk on in, but my knee is not gonna let me do that today, Dang!!! So I turn the truck around and start heading back toward the house. I've gone about 3/4 of a mile, when what do I see in the road, a fresh gobbler track on top of my track, and I have a blind I set up during youth week to take my grandkids, he is headed that way!!! So I go down a little way so I will be a little closer.  Don't know how long it took me to get there but it was fast as this old man could go. Now I know these turkeys here get messed with a lot so I don't want to do a lot of calling. I decided to just cluck  good and loud  cause I don't know how far off he is. He gobbled about 200 yards
away,game on!!  5 minutes later he gobbles again,   he's coming. Another 5 minutes he shows himself , about 100yds.          He's in full strut. I cluck again, here he comes a running. 30 yds. Is close enough. He can't take these #6s, done deal!!!  Not the biggest by ,far but after what I've been through the last 2 years he is one I dearly appreciate.... He weighed 18lbs.  9" beard and 1 1/4 spurs that are needle sharp!!! 
I'm trying to load pics, think I'm gonna have to get help and post them  later

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

tomstopper

Congrats. Cant wait to see some pics

Mtd69

g8rvet

Very nice.  You earned him! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

hobbes

Dr Juice

Awesome and congrats.

OldSchool

Congratulations!! :icon_thumright: I can't wait to see the pics.

30 years of hard physical labor took It's toll on my body and I've had to change the way I hunt to a degree, but where there's a will, there's a way. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

taylorjones20

Congrats. Looking forward to pics as well.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

RutnNStrutn

Great story!! Congrats to you!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

If you're having problems posting pics, check my reply on this subject on a different thread.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,53646.new.html#new

tha bugman

Way to go brother!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgm1955

SS Calls

That's awesome!! Congrats!!

Happy

Congrats! Sounds like you deserved that one!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club