OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How long do you like your striker?

Started by flintlockgirl, March 31, 2016, 11:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlockgirl

I thought I could get a few people to tell me how long a stiker should be for the future reference.

fallhnt

Long enough to be easy to hold,use,and find. I think material has more to do with sound than the length.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Greg Massey

I agree with fallhnt it has a lot to do with weigh and easy of holding of the striker. The type of wood or material has a lot more to do with how it plays. Length is anywhere from 6 or so inches.

Dr Juice

I prefer my strikers to have some meat on them (wider diameter) which makes them easier to control.

mikejd

maytom

Most strikers run between 4 to 5 inches long, not including the handle part. Also, most are 3/8" of an inch thick. Some that have the "bell end" are almost 1/2" at the tip.

wmn2

I like mine around 4-5" but I like mine top heavy. I have more control over a top heavy striker than a light one.

flintlockgirl

Okay, that helps, when I get a sec I have some ink pens to make on my little lathe and I do have some 3/4 X 3/4 X10 inches of exotic woods that I had orderd for pens. Thanks to all

Yoder409

I like mine long enough to reach all the way to the call.

:toothy12:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Fieldturkey

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 31, 2016, 09:48:44 PM
I like mine long enough to reach all the way to the call.

:toothy12:

That's funny right there

Greg Massey

catman529

funny thing is I like the sound my wingbone call makes better than my H.S. carbon striker or Primos wood striker. Of course I don't own any decent custom strikers so I may be of no help. But I do think it's interesting that an entirely different call can make a pretty good striker as well.

vman

I epoxied a gobbler wing bone into half a dried corn cob about 15 years ago and its the best sounding striker I have. it is just a bit too short for me me but i'm comfortable with it. Sounds sweet on glass.

wvmntnhick

Some are short, some are long. It's not the length that matters, it's the way you use it. At least, I hope that's the case.

All kidding aside, I've got a plexiglass striker that the whole thing might be 5". Most of my others appear to be about 8" in total length. The plexiglass is harder to hold simply because it's so short bit I like it just the same. It's great on a wet slate.

Greg Massey

To play the game you've got to have the right tool for the job....you need a striker for a pot call...