OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Compact binoculars

Started by tha bugman, March 31, 2016, 05:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I carry a pair of Steiner Predators...  Decent optics for the money with a life-time warranty (which I have put to use)...

Even if I am not looking for turkeys, the binoculars help keep me occupied...  I enjoy checking out other wildlife when I am hunting, and there is rarely a trip when I do not take them out to look at something.

I have spotted a few turkeys with them as well, and those binoculars have been an important tool in killing some turkeys for sure.

There have been a few times while watching distant turkeys that I have been able to watch them as I call, and see their reactions as well...  Are they coming towards me, going away, half-strutting, etc...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

Have a pair of compact Nikons.  Carry them for turkey and duck hunting. It is a rare day I do not pull them out to look at something.  I always glass fields as I ease up to them - have seen birds many many times that I would not have seen with the naked eye.  Was scanning a field before I stood up one day and saw a gobbler's head poked up at about 250 yards.  I called to him and got him to start gobbling but he did not come in. May have been with hens as he was just over the ridge.  handy tool, but mostly just fun to have with me.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

10x42 Zeiss's.

Used to carry 10x28 Leupold Gold Ring Compacts until my buddy ran over them.

Binoculars are essential.

dirt road ninja

Gooserbat

As far as true compact binoculars look at Bushnell legend 10x26.  Personally I would take a set of 8x32 or 10x32.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Stickbow98

Leica 10X25's are my designated turkey binocs. When hunting more open terrain or fields, they are my most used piece of gear. Being able to see the birds before they see you is crucial, and our UN-aided eyes are no match for theirs.
Plus, there's always something out there interesting to look at when the birds aren't cooperating!
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

redjones

I try and carry a pair with me any time I am hunting or scouting,they are one of the best tools you can have.

Greg
Semper Fi

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: bmhern on March 31, 2016, 09:29:51 AM
I carry a pair, I can see without them, just can't tell what im looking at!!!!
:TooFunny: Me too!!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

BBR12

I don't leave the truck without my zeiss 10x25. If I had to pick 3 things to carry it would by my gun, binoculars, and a call. I killed a bird just the other morning with their aid. Bird had only gobbled a few times and had not gobbled in about an hour. I eased up and looked down the power line and could see some birds about 200 yds away. I was able to check them out good with my bino's and watch their reaction to my calling, when they started drifting my way I sat back down and about 10 min later I had my bird.
You can check a food plot well before you get to it through the woods by focusing in on it. I have many many times been able to see a head pop up in tall grass or over the edge of a hill that I would have never seen with my naked eye.

Tail Feathers

I always do when hunting unfamiliar terrain, and sometimes carry binos at my home hunting ground.  There usually not much long range viewing at my home territory tho.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Cutt

I never use binos, with most of my woods hunting I try to set up where a bird can't see me far off, so no sense of even having them. When I first see them they are normally in gun range, or too close to be glassing. And with my occasional field edge sits, I figure if I can see a bird, he can surely see me, so why move to glass them? Just one less thing I don't need and don't have to carry is how I look at it.