turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question

Started by gunner, March 30, 2016, 11:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunner

If you kill a turkey with other gobblers present, will the other gobblers normally stay around in that area, or will they move off?  I don't mean right after the shot.  I'm asking about the following days.

About how long does it take for them to start gobbling and such again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stinkpickle

Sometimes, they'll even stick around to get shot, too.  Turkeys do stupid stuff.

FL-Boss

Turkey's don't care, or remember much about yesterday and don't care about tomorrow. They are about right now..

gunner

Appreciate it, guys!  I killed one Saturday and there were two others just like him with him.  Gonna go back for round two and wondered if I should start in the same spot again.

stinkpickle

Quote from: gunner on March 30, 2016, 11:11:37 PM
Appreciate it, guys!  I killed one Saturday and there were two others just like him with him.  Gonna go back for round two and wondered if I should start in the same spot again.

I would.  Lightning strikes twice a lot when it comes to turkey spots.  ;)

Dr Juice

No doubt. Go do it again. Good luck.

fallhnt

Unless you were filming your show. If so, you would turn to the camera and high fived the camera man, then jumped up and started the end zone dance, while all the birds were high tailing it in the background. :funnyturkey:
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bmhern

That's where they live, they will be right around there.

kyturkeyhunter4

I've killed birds and went right back in the same area and kill another bird the very next morning,

buck_hunter21

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 30, 2016, 11:08:22 PM
Turkey's don't care, or remember much about yesterday and don't care about tomorrow. They are about right now..

Sounds like todays younger generation (I can say this b/c I am part of it!  ;D)

But it won't mess up the spot...I've killed birds in the same spot less than 24 hours later.

Spill Blood

catman529

They ain't going nowhere, maybe just fly over to the next holler when you jump up to get your bird. I think it takes a lot of hunter traffic to push birds off an area.

catman529

A couple years ago I called up 7 gobblers throughout the month of April on the same ridge top on public land. I hunted there a lot, other people hunted there, I killed 2 and missed 1 bird on that same ridge. Last year was kind of a bust because birds were not vocal, but they were still up there somewhere.

tomstopper

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 30, 2016, 11:15:32 PM

I would.  Lightning strikes twice a lot when it comes to turkey spots.  ;)
Bingo. Start where you think he is or was is how I would approach it. They aren't very smart.....

Gooserbat

Turkeys are there because they like it.  I'd go back
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dr Juice

It can't hurt to return to the area and assess the situation. Warning, some birds do not return for awhile. Good luck to ya.