OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Smaller jake decoy?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 30, 2016, 08:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I feel like the jake decoy that I have (Pretty Boy Jr.) is a little on the big side, and would just scare away a gobbler. Does anybody know of any jake decoys on the smaller side?

ThunderChickenGetter

If I'm not mistaken, all avian x decoys are slightly smaller than a actual turkey. I know the strutter is and I'm almost positive the jake is also. 

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Marc

Avian X and Funky Chicken...  I have a buddy who now swears by the Funky Chicken (also owns the DSD Jake).

I have the Avian X, and it is a bit smaller than another jake decoy I previously owned...

Looking at the reaction of birds to the DSD, I do not think you could go wrong with that decoy either though...  That decoy seems to ellicit and create success for an awful lot of hunters...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

MK M GOBL

One thing to note is stake your jake low, not down to the ground low but lower then what he would normally stand. Avian re-sized their hens a few years back, those old one were balloons. The Jake that is standing a good sized bird the Strutter was designed to be under sized. Only thing I notice with the strutter is the lack of being able to add wings and a real beard. They use a "fake" jake beard with the decoy but then supply you with a "fake" full fan gobbler tail??? I have a buddy who is going to try and modify his strutter to accommodate the "real" wings & beard, we'll see how this goes.

I myself use a DSD Jake and like his body position as a subdominant bird...

MK M GOBL

blackmagic

I've got this.  He's a little guy.  Eyes eventually fall off which has dubbed him "One Eyed Willie"

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: blackmagic on March 31, 2016, 12:39:10 PM
I've got this.  He's a little guy.  Eyes eventually fall off which has dubbed him "One Eyed Willie"

Brand?

deerbasshunter3

I've wanted to try the Funky Chicken, but I tend to shy away from Flextone.

blackmagic

Hawk-i

I used a Primos "Killer B" last year and it brought in four toms (including a gang of 3 jakes that came to it together). The Killer B is on the small size and you can  raise and lower its fan with braided fishing line.