turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Simple times

Started by Farmboy27, March 30, 2016, 07:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildTigerTrout

When I started turkey hunting I had a H&R single shot 20 ga. along with a half dozen Win. 3" magnum loads of #4 shot. My camo was the WW2 type as that was all that was available. I carried ONE turkey call, a early 70's vintage Lynch "World Champion" box call. I wore face paint on my hands and face. That's it. No vest, no decoys, no blinds, no sights, no turkey seat etc. I do like many of the improvements and advances in turkey hunting over the years. Today I use a fancy Benelli SBE shotgun with red dot optical sights, modern Realtree camo, a nice turkey seat, a bunch of calls and my ammo is better although I never got away from using lead shotshells.  I still like to hunt the simple way and therefore do not use blinds or decoys. Just something about sitting with my back up against a big old oak tree and working him in. Every sense is at high alert and when I see him coming MAN what a rush. Just like when I was a young teenager years ago. Some of the equipment is different but the feeling is the same! I will quit turkey hunting when they throw that dirt in my face!!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Gooserbat

I've evolved right along with the equipment.  However the game stays the same.  I may use a far more efficient gun, a higher grade of calls, and better Camo and shells but if I.screw up the same put put is all I get.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

OldSchool

Whether It's good or bad, I'm still hunting with the same fixed choke gun and loads I started with years ago. My old woodland camo BDU's still seem to work fine, but they're getting kind of faded and ratty looking and I've been thinking I should probably replace them with another set one of these days. I've got a 20 year old Flambeau Redi Hen that I don't use very often, but she doesn't seem to have lost her appeal to the Toms when I do use it. It's the same with my calls, I've got a couple old faithfuls that I've used forever. I buy a couple new diaphragm calls each year to replace the worn ones and a couple pairs of jersey gloves, a 25 round box of shells and new boots when I need them, but that's about it. I've never felt like I've been missing out on anything. I've always had a lot of fun and I eat turkey on a regular basis, so I've always figured If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :z-twocents:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Marc

It is not so much the products that bother me...  Looking back at 1950's ammunition advertising, long-range shells have always been promoted.

I enjoy having clothing and gear that keeps me comfortable and well-hidden, and the GPS is the answer to my prayers (as I have no sense of direction).  I also enjoy my modern turkey vest, which allows me to sit comfortably and keep all of my unnecessary gear well-organized...

I do not like the "gansta' " attitude which is becoming prominent in the waterfowl and turkey hunting communities though...  Or the "I'm tough cause I killed my limit" attitude (even more prevalent in the waterfowl community).  Or the fact that the method of hunting seems to be secondary to killing something (i.e. electronic decoys, turkey reaping, etc.).

If you are saying that currently, the growing attitude is that the "kill" is more important than the "hunt," then I agree...  And it makes me a little sad.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tha bugman

Quote from: Spurs on March 31, 2016, 09:53:24 AM
Completely disagree....I enjoy talking chokes, she'll combinations, and guns in the off season to ease the "Off Season Blues".  I also love talking calls, setups, and land management for turkey for the same reason. 

Now, as far as the TV Personalities pushing their junk, hooping and hollering, and setting a bad example for our children, I am disgusted.  You just shot and killed one of Gods greatest creations, it deserves the respect and gratitude that any other creature deserves....Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen!

Greg Massey

Quote from: tha bugman on April 01, 2016, 04:57:40 PM
Quote from: Spurs on March 31, 2016, 09:53:24 AM
Completely disagree....I enjoy talking chokes, she'll combinations, and guns in the off season to ease the "Off Season Blues".  I also love talking calls, setups, and land management for turkey for the same reason. 

Now, as far as the TV Personalities pushing their junk, hooping and hollering, and setting a bad example for our children, I am disgusted.  You just shot and killed one of Gods greatest creations, it deserves the respect and gratitude that any other creature deserves....Just my .02
AMEN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen!

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy