turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Eastern or Osceola?

Started by Nukm80, March 29, 2016, 03:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nukm80

I looked up all I could find and this Gobbler has the characteristics of an "Osceola" turkey, as far as I can tell. I'm no expert so I'm asking what yall think. Thanks

Marc

I certainly cannot tell, but I am guessing whoever might be able to, will want to know where you shot it (general location, not exact spot).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Nukm80

Forgot about that, thanks. Nassau county FL, on private land, about 10 miles north of the Duval county line where the Eastern/Osceola boundary line is.

Dr Juice

I believe it's an Osceola due to the dark black wing tips. My $.02

hotspur

I have shot some turkeys in Vernon parish Louisiana that have dark wings like that. I know back in the 80s Louisiana transplanted turkeys from Florida in a deer for turkey swap ,

357MAGNOLE

That would be cool to have a population in that area. I am moving to Yulee which I believe is in Nassau County...  Although I am not moving until next year.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

backwater

The white bars on the wings look pretty solid to me.  I'd say Eastern, or probably a cross.   Regardless, very nice bird.

Smooth_Operator

Looks like an Osceloa to me, a lot of black in those wings...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

fallhnt

White bars on wings are solid and not broken up much. I would say more Eastern. Congrats on the bird
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

mgm1955

Quote from: fallhnt on March 29, 2016, 07:50:58 PM
White bars on wings are solid and not broken up much. I would say more Eastern. Congrats on the bird
I agree. Congrats!!

Smooth_Operator

Just saw the second pic, the first pic looks a lot more black than the second pic. If I were going off the second pic it would be harder to tell for me, looks more like an Eastern in that pic...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

Hookinembig

Either way congrats on the bird!

Old Gobbler

this is what they look like....
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Nukm80

Thanks, for the replies! I see what you mean "Old Gobbler" about the wings being broken up. Either way it was fun hunting him no matter what subspecies he is!