News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Filming your own hunts.....

Started by perrysbirds, March 28, 2016, 06:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perrysbirds

Hi everyone,
Just wondering what everyone uses for a video camera that film their own turkey hunts?
I am doing some research as I want to purchase one but want as many opinions as possible before I decide...I have a couple in mind but I am in no hurry to make a purchase.
I am aware that I am gonna need certain other things to go along with the camera...also your help there would be great....looking at spending $2000 on a decent camera and I will get the other things as I go along.....I want to do this right the first time...
Thanks Perry
If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer

catman529

I keep it budget but still have a decent camera for the money. Paid $500 for the camera, $150 for the mic and $130 for the tripod.

Panasonic HC-V750. Also have two HC-V250s for backup, and a couple of action cams.

Mic is a Senal SCS-98.

Tripod is a Slik, can't remember the model name, got it from B.H

I painted the tripod, it comes solid black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

Here's a couple deer hunts from last year with the V750. I was still using only the V250 last turkey season, so this will be my first spring with the camera.

http://youtu.be/MNfvcfzKags

http://youtu.be/gXpe0SCjmHA

http://youtu.be/jOGnftsa7cA

ridgerunner

I purchased a used Canon GL2 a few years ago, excellent quality. $3500 camera new, but you can find them for $500 used now days..Excellent quality footage

MK M GOBL

We use a Canon Vixia HF G30 and a Canon XA30 for our main cameras, A few things we looked at were Optical Zoom, SD data storage and the XA30 was a better setup for mics. I have a Rode shotgun mic and Sennheiser wireless mics. I would suggest you call Campbell Cameras and they can really help you out getting everything right.

Here's my setup, I have other accessories not in the pic...

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Been using for Turkey, whitetail, goose and Bowfishing too!

one more

MK M GOBL

wmn2

I'd say canon vixia G30 or G40. Even a G20 you should find for a good used price. Rode mic, manfrotto fluid head and a remote to attach to the head or arm if you're using one.

cornfedkiller

Anything Canon..

Used a couple others for both video cameras and point-and-shoot cameras, and keep going back to Canon. 

Although I've heard good things about Panasonic.

Gamblinman

Quote from: wmn2 on March 28, 2016, 08:32:25 PM
I'd say canon vixia G30 or G40. Even a G20 you should find for a good used price. Rode mic, manfrotto fluid head and a remote to attach to the head or arm if you're using one.

This.. Canon cameras, rode mic, and manfrotto heads and tripods.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

whitemarlin

The canon xa20 or xa25 will do most anything you want Without going to a more expensive camera.

Strick9

Been filming for about 6 years and its Cannon for me as well. I got a discount from Cambells .. Everyone is dead on track , if you do go another route make absolutely certain that you can record to an SD card..
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

perrysbirds

Im with you guys all the way.....canon seems to be it.....
Anyone else got any videos of turkey hunts and what they use.....
Thanks guys this is good info.....
If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer

cornfedkiller

Quote from: perrysbirds on March 29, 2016, 05:00:43 PM
Im with you guys all the way.....canon seems to be it.....
Anyone else got any videos of turkey hunts and what they use.....
Thanks guys this is good info.....

Here's some video I took a couple years ago with my Canon Vixia HF20.  I think I paid $200 for the camera.

Make sure you change the video quality to HD..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HhOopC0ij0&ebc=ANyPxKr1o4-939dRcvwNFk9iiksvqEdU2v7d6Dl3l9XQ8g_LPgs88BcyrM55Z0JiLre8JT6eRpooxGco7hAgaQCSeXZbJd_ZWw

tha bugman

You have a good budget and should be able to find a nice camera for that amount.  I have done it for much less than that for sure!

Dr Juice

Awesome job. Thx for sharing.