Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for a public land hunting trip.......

Started by shaneb, March 27, 2016, 09:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaneb

Hey Guys, I live in deep south mississippi where turkey hunting is going way down.  I am looking to take my father in law on an out of state public land hunt.  I am looking for the best for my money but most affordable.  Which states do you recommend for the best bang for my buck?  Looking to spend 3-5 days hunting and 2 or more bird limit.  May be the only trip that me, father in law, and brother in law get together.  2 of us have never been out of state hunting.   

Double B

Kentucky has good public ground in my opinion.   Lots of good wma's and a 2 bird limit.  4/16 opener  :turkey2:
Followed by buzzards

shaneb

I have been looking at ky. Been there guiding a handi cap turkey hunt and as we traveled we saw so many strutters in fields. Lots just outside major cities too. Thanks for the imput.

Big perm2

Ive been goin to Missouri since 97 and have loved every trip,lots of NF and if you pick the right spot you will have it all to yourself!!!!  I live in central Mississippi and we have more turkeys this than ever..

Hook hanger

Gobbler2577

Don't overlook western Tennessee either.  I'm near Starkville and have gone to Natchez trace state park near Yuma Tennessee and in the past that place was covered up in turkeys. 

Jbird22

Quote from: Big perm2 on March 27, 2016, 10:16:54 PM...I live in central Mississippi and we have more turkeys this than ever..
Like shaneb, I live in one of the 6 coastal counties and can tell you that our turkey population has plummeted over the past 4-5 years. This year is as bad as I've ever seen it and I've seen some lean years too! Without some sort of intervention from the MDWFP or NWTF (probably both), I don't see things improving either.

Good luck shaneb! I totally understand why you're looking to go OOS.

shaneb

Quote from: Big perm2 on March 27, 2016, 10:16:54 PM
Ive been goin to Missouri since 97 and have loved every trip,lots of NF and if you pick the right spot you will have it all to yourself!!!!  I live in central Mississippi and we have more turkeys this than ever..

Yea I am keeping up with Ms. turkeys and yall are knocking them down north of us. 

shaneb

Quote from: JBIRD22 on March 27, 2016, 11:02:53 PM
Quote from: Big perm2 on March 27, 2016, 10:16:54 PM...I live in central Mississippi and we have more turkeys this than ever..
Like shaneb, I live in one of the 6 coastal counties and can tell you that our turkey population has plummeted over the past 4-5 years. This year is as bad as I've ever seen it and I've seen some lean years too! Without some sort of intervention from the MDWFP or NWTF (probably both), I don't see things improving either.

Thanks JBIRD. I see you on our hunting forum and guess I didn't pick up on the fact you live in the southern 6 counties.  It is horrible down here compared to years past for sure.

shaneb

We are considering Missouri because my father in law has been there before and we can fish after 1.  I have considered TN also.  Just wanting to hear different opinions.

Jbird22

Quote from: shaneb on March 28, 2016, 11:02:13 AM

Thanks JBIRD. I see you on our hunting forum and guess I didn't pick up on the fact you live in the southern 6 counties.  It is horrible down here compared to years past for sure.
Yep, SW Pearl River County near the Pearl. Our #'s have never been what I'd call stellar but I've always been able to find a few birds to hunt. Today made trip #4 without hearing or seeing a turkey! With the water being as high as it is, birds should be congregated where I hunt. Nada, zip, zero! Not good!

hobbes

How far do you want to travel? Are you interested in Easterns only or do you want Merriam's or Rios?  Do you want to hunt a completely new type terrain or stick to hardwoods?  These are all questions that I'd be asking myself.

I'd try to give myself at least 4 full hunting days, preferably 5. 

shaneb

Quote from: hobbes on March 28, 2016, 12:08:06 PM
How far do you want to travel? Are you interested in Easterns only or do you want Merriam's or Rios?  Do you want to hunt a completely new type terrain or stick to hardwoods?  These are all questions that I'd be asking myself.

I'd try to give myself at least 4 full hunting days, preferably 5.

Within 8-10 hr drive for sure.  I don't want to be exhausted.  It also depends on how much time they can take off for the hunt.  If they can take a week off then we could travel longer.  I am just looking for new.  It does not matter terrain.  One day I want to get my slam so starting now would do me just fine. 

shaneb

Quote from: JBIRD22 on March 28, 2016, 11:47:54 AM
Quote from: shaneb on March 28, 2016, 11:02:13 AM

Yep, SW Pearl River County near the Pearl. Our #'s have never been what I'd call stellar but I've always been able to find a few birds to hunt. Today made trip #4 without hearing or seeing a turkey! With the water being as high as it is, birds should be congregated where I hunt. Nada, zip, zero! Not good!

We finally had 6 birds gobble on our club this morning.  Most we have had in a long time.  Also most gobbling heard this year.  Sadly I am at work and 2 of them died.  That makes 3 birds dead on our club and I haven't even gotten set up on one.  :angry9:  :'(

Fullfan

I have been hunting  Missouri in the Mark Twain and surrounding area for the past 25 years. Several years ago I hunted
east of Nashville  Tenn about an hour or so. That year I saw more gobblers than I ever have anywhere with the exception of the Texas hill country. Never saw another hunter in Tenn either.  In  Missouri the numbers are starting to come back, but so are the hunters.  Either would be a good place if you can find the  birds and are left alone.

Tenn was much easier to hunt, meaning the mountains were nothing like Mo. 

Don't gobble at me...