OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opening day blood.

Started by DMP, April 01, 2011, 09:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMP

Its been a long day. Started out this morning going after a group of birds that my brother had been watching. At first light we hear 4 maybe 5 birds and the two we were after finally gobbled about 7:00 but not where they had normally been. We rushed to get set up knowing they were going to be hitting the ground soon. Gave a few tree yelps and they hammered away and I figured we were in business. Sat for a 5 or so mins and heard nothing so I gave them a little more music and nothing. I still don't know where those birds are. We circled and circled that area all morning and could find no sign of them. Like the just vanished. Left that area and went and sat on a big hardwood ridge for an hour or so doing some soft calling with the Spring Allure copper but only managed to call up a lone hen. By now were about ready to eat tree bark so we make our way back the truck and eat some lunch.
After lunch we decided to go back to the hardwood ridge and stay there the rest of the day. I really couldn't see sitting against a tree for 5 or 6 hours so we took the tent in and got set up. We weren't there long before we had two jakes and a hen give us a visit. Now I don't use decoys much but my brother went out and bought a b-mobile and he said we had to use it so we gave it a shot. Well jakes and the hen wanted nothing to do with it. After watching them circle it and stare at it we then had a tom finally come and investigate and he wanted nothing to do with the decoy either. Big boy only got to with in 50 yds before slipping back out and the jakes and hen followed. Well after seeing this I eased out and kicked B Mobile in the head and slung him in the blind with us.
I called lightly about every 30 mins but at 4:30 I cut real hard and bam a tom cuts me off and hes not far. Kind of strange but when he showed himself he had a hen following him. Usually its the other way around but im not picky. Finally at 5:00 he presented a good shot at 30 yds and I gave him a face full of hevi shot and thats all she wrote. Not a big bird.

15 lbs
9.5" beard
3/4" spur
1/2 spur

One spur was broken off bad. Almost like the bone part of the spur broke off to the meat.  Hopefully some upgrades will be coming soon for the contest.  Plus I have had a bad headache so the pics aren't the best.  Ill post the contest pics this weekend.

BowBendr

Way to go Derek. No better way to get it done than smashing one on opening day. Many congrats !!  :icon_thumright:

MDbowman

Way to get one on the board!! Plenty of time for an upgrade, congrats.

derek

Congrats Derek, starting it off right!
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

bawana

Congrats, gotta love a face full of hevi shot!!

Duke0002

Attaboy, Derek!  Way to go.

misfire

Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Fullfan

Congrats, it is good to get the ice broken.
Don't gobble at me...

woodsman1977

nice bird....but where is your team hat???

MDbowman

Quote from: woodsman1977 on April 03, 2011, 09:45:50 PM
nice bird....but where is your team hat???

His hasn't arrived yet!! :TooFunny:

BowBendr