turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal HW 2 3/4 Inconsistencies

Started by BDeal, March 26, 2016, 06:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

I love the way these pattern but the poi is all over the place. I think I got it on and the next shot is way off. I can't hunt with these. I've shot them with several chokes and 2 guns and have experienced the same issue. My other shells don't do this. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!!

dirtnap

No.  My son shoots the 2 3/4 inch HW 7 shell and it has been rough on the turkeys.  I can't say that I have ever shot it at paper more than once.

The limited experience I have with it, it consistently kills.

jonhaga

Just bought some of these for my daughter I hope their consistent I'll have a report soon

Greg Massey

First what kind of gun are you shooting these shells from and what type choke. Yesterday i had setup a new 20 ga. youth 870 with the 21 in barrel and Trulock choke 565. I level the gun and scope and then bore sighted the gun with a bore sight ....people think you can't bore sight a shotgun..wrong ... i took the gun out yesterday for the first time shot it at 15 yards with a light load shell dead on target. I keep backing off more yards with just heavy load number 6 shot and finished off at 40 yards with a Federal Heavy 3 in. number 7 dead on target..total of 6 shots..

BDeal

I'm shooting them out of a brand new 870 youth with the 21 inch barrel. At first I thought they were wandering due to the ports on the Pure Gold choke I was using but I switched to a Carlson .575 non ported and it still wanders (nut not as much as with the Pure Gold). I tried sighting in first with a standard #6 shell but it didn't help as the heavyweights shoot about 10-12 inches lower in general.

Maybe I need to experiment more....
I bought a Primos Tightwad choke as well and haven't tried that one yet.

Greg Massey

Is this a brand new gun ? I'm not a fan of those chokes your trying to use..Trulock will help you any way they can with a good quality choke and if you do like the one you get from them within the first 60 days they will replace it or refund your money...Why are you wanting to shoot a 2 3/4 shell anyway..with the 3 in shell you want feel the kick .... all the shells you were using were they 2 3/4 shells or 3 in. shells trying to get it on target with POI

BDeal

I'm shooting the shorter shell to minimize recoil. This setup is for my 10 year old son who is very recoil sensitive. Yes the gun is brand new and I did deep clean the barrel.

Many recommended the Carlson .575 and Primos Tighwad for this setup.

Greg Massey

Well to see if it's the gun i would of set it up just like you were going to hunt with the gun with 3 in. shells ..then see if the problem is the gun or just the shells...it could just be the shells..go to Walmart and get you a box of lead 6 shot 3 in. in the turkey thug shells..and try those to see if the POI is good with a different shell..

BDeal

The gun shoots consistent POA with Winchester 2 3/4 #6 so I don't believe it's the gun.

Greg Massey

Okay... i'm with you then...i'm guessing it's the shells...i know this past weekend i didn't have a problem with the 3 in. 6 or 7 federal H W...nothing wrong with that Winchester shell...my son and i we don't always shoot the federal H W either... all of our turkey guns have non-ported chokes...i just don't like ported...but for your son you still may want ported...i know the way we set our guns up is to shoot just little high because we want the most of our shot pattern on the head...we always aim at were the feathers stop at the neck so we get the most hits in the head...

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: BDeal on March 26, 2016, 06:42:00 PM
I love the way these pattern but the poi is all over the place. I think I got it on and the next shot is way off. I can't hunt with these. I've shot them with several chokes and 2 guns and have experienced the same issue. My other shells don't do this. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!!
When you say way off, how many inches?   What kind of sight are you using?   Was it windy?    I do find that the 3" HWT loads wander a bit, a few inches here or there.  I think it is the aerodynamics of the flight control wad not being perfectly the same from shot to shot.  I did find that the Sumtoy choke with the wad strippers helped.

Dr Juice

Do you have optics? Perhaps there is something wrong with your sight system.

BDeal

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 29, 2016, 03:27:55 PM

Quote from: BDeal on March 26, 2016, 06:42:00 PM

Thanks!!
When you say way off, how many inches?   What kind of sight are you using?   Was it windy?    I do find that the 3" HWT loads wander a bit, a few inches here or there.  I think it is the aerodynamics of the flight control wad not being perfectly the same from shot to shot.  I did find that the Sumtoy choke with the wad strippers helped.

I have shot a dozen of these shells while trying different chokes and have noticed a few inches of wandering here or there mostly (my other shells don't do this or at least it's not as noticeable) , but two of the shots in particular were way off. One that was about a foot low and would have missed the bird completely and one that was probably 6 inches high but the bottom edge of the pattern would have still killed the bird.

I'm still baffled by the one that was so low and it was right after that shot that I started this discussion. Maybe it was really just one bad shell????