OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

930 Setup Help

Started by grousec, March 26, 2016, 08:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grousec

I am now the owner of a mossberg 930 pistol grip turkey with 24" barrel.  I would love some help on a setup for it. 
Thanks

allaboutshooting

Quote from: grousec on March 26, 2016, 08:55:48 AM
I am now the owner of a mossberg 930 pistol grip turkey with 24" barrel.  I would love some help on a setup for it. 
Thanks

First of all, congratulations! You have a fine shotgun that is very reliable and should give you years of excellent service. I've had one for several years now and have shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds through it. It has yet to have a failure to feed or any other malfunction. I once went for months without cleaning the gas system or fire control unit just to see if it would malfunction and it did not.

I would however recommend that to get things started correctly, you "deep clean the bore" http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/tagged/cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel and the gas system. It's also a good idea to pull the fire control (trigger group) and remove any excess oil or grease from it. You'll want to wipe out the inside of the receiver as well while you're at it.

That's really all you should need to do to get started. Mossberg barrels don't always shine but a good cleaning is all they need so pattern really well.

I think you'll find that your gun will pattern a variety of shells really well. WLB shells with 1 7/8 oz of #6 shot or the 1 3/4 oz version with #6 and of course Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz of #6 or #7 and Magnum Blends do very well.

The SSX turkey choke is a real favorite as is the JEB's and the Hevi-13 choke. I'd be happy to take my 930 to the turkey woods and fields with any of those chokes and any of the shells I've mentioned. They all work exceptionally well.

I know you'll enjoy that gun and if I may be of any help to you with it, just let me know.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Isomaad

I have the 930 Turkey as well and it is one fine turkey slaying machine.  Mine has the regular stock though.  I put a set of Williams Universal Slugger Fire sights on it and use an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke.  It shoots the Hevi-13 3", 2oz, #7 and the Longbeard 1 7/8oz #6's extremely well.  My best with the Hevi-13's if I remember correctly is 234 hits in a 10" circle at 40yds.  My best with the Longbeards is 228.  Here is a link to that target.  http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,44731.0.html  Congrats on your new turkey slayer.

grousec

Thank you both.  I am looking to forward squeezing the trigger after i get it set up.

Ridge Rooster

Just today mounted a Burris FF3 with protector and 336 base on a buddies 935. His is the regular stock model with 22" barrel and Indian Creek choke. It shot in the 220's with 3" #6 Long Beards. I think the pistol grip model would even be a better set up with the Burris FF. I was very impressed with the clean look of his set up and if I didnt already have 2 SBE's I would have his exact set up or the 930 like you have.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Nukm80

Ive been shooting an 870 since i was 13. Monday I bought a 930 Turkey Gun with the regular stock though. I shot "Fiocchi" 2 3/4 Golden Turkey #5, and Winchester 3" #6. I wanted to hunt that afternoon and those are the shells I had. I did shoot a Gobbler, but Im going to try some different shells. Have you shot it, or found any shells you like yet?

knightrider

I have the same gun, with the factory choke long beard #4 are very clean killers, I use a pure gold 670 with the long beard #4 or #5 and have great patterns, just clean it well as clark mentioned :OGturkeyhead:

grousec

I haven't shot mine yet.  I have a Indian Creek choke coming.  Trying to find some Winchester Long Beard XR in 6 shot so far all I find here is 4 and 5.  I want the 1 7/8 oz finding 6 shot in 1 3/4 oz.  Is there much difference in performance of the extra 1/8 oz?

vtstrutter

Just sold my 930. It was a great gun. I shot an Indian creek choke with hevi 13  2oz #6 and it patterened better with that load then the longbeard #6. Killed a lot of birds with it. Only complaint was the stock sights. Upgrade to Williams fire sights and you will be fine.

Isomaad

Quote from: grousec on March 30, 2016, 08:23:51 PM
I haven't shot mine yet.  I have a Indian Creek choke coming.  Trying to find some Winchester Long Beard XR in 6 shot so far all I find here is 4 and 5.  I want the 1 7/8 oz finding 6 shot in 1 3/4 oz.  Is there much difference in performance of the extra 1/8 oz?
I don't think the extra shot is needed because the 1 3/4oz does a fantastic job.  Id rather have the 1200fps velocity vs the 1050fps you get with the 1 7/8oz load.

grousec

I seem to read more about the 1 7/8 and have not shot either yet.  I can find the 1 3/4 in #6 but 1 7/8 only in 4-5 shot here.  So may just go with the faster 6's.  Any of you having good patterns with #5's?

Nukm80

Quote from: grousec on March 30, 2016, 09:38:07 PM
I seem to read more about the 1 7/8 and have not shot either yet.  I can find the 1 3/4 in #6 but 1 7/8 only in 4-5 shot here.  So may just go with the faster 6's.  Any of you having good patterns with #5's?
My cousin told me about these shells. He likes the #6, I bought #5 and they pattern good in my 930 with factory XXFull choke at 50yds

grousec

Thanks I may try the #5 but really thought i want #6.

Nukm80

Let me know how you like them. I shot a Gobbler at 45 steps, Im short legged  so about 40yds and dropped him! #5 or #6 I really like the loads and Im very happy with the 930!!

maytom

I really like the look's of this gun. Camo wise, that is the very pattern I wear, so a complete blend in is great. Cost wise, it's much more
within reason compared to other semi-autos. And after reading some of the reports on this model, think it would fit the bill nicely.