turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best all around load, close to far!

Started by silencer223, March 26, 2016, 01:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silencer223

Hey guys, my first post on this forum! I'm interested to get your guys' opinion on the best turkey load to use from pretty close in (15-20 yards) to far out (40-50+).

The current gun I'm using is a Stoeger M3000 with the stock extra full choke (not sure of the constriction). I've patterned with Remington Nitro turkey, 3", 1 7/8oz shot. I established my max range is about 40 with 15-20 pellets in the head and neck area. I patterned at 15 and that group was the size of a baseball and no bigger than a softball.

Basically I'm looking for a load that covers all ranges. I'd like a little more spread and room for error at close ranges but still have the pattern density to get those birds that hang up.

Side note, my buddy uses hevi shot magnum blend and I'm thinking of switching to that but I still wanna here your opinions. I also understand that different loads pattern differently in different guns. Also if you have any ported choke recommendations I'd be glad to hear them! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Welcome, I'm a lead shooter so some of the non toxic guys may have a different answer but I've never been a fan of the nitros. I've burned lots of powder in lots of shells n usually come back to Winchester supremes, the magnums which Is two ounces in 3".
Federal has a load called 3rd degree which in my buddys Browning Silver was quite impressive. The load is marketed as an all range load n in his gun we had great results. Do not know the construction he was using but it was the factory supplied choke

PALongspur

Federal 3rd Degree performs very well for me thru a .650 from Rob Roberts.

The real eye opener for me was patterns shot at 10-15 yards. The new Federal shell produced a pattern that was about 3 times wider than my standard load, very beneficial up close!  :icon_thumright:

Tom Foolery

silencer223

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 26, 2016, 07:32:43 AM

H13 #7 gets my vote
Idk, my minds been conditioned that 7's are too small for turkeys..

silencer223

Quote from: PALongspur on March 26, 2016, 05:35:58 AM

The real eye opener for me was patterns shot at 10-15 yards. The new Federal shell produced a pattern that was about 3 times wider than my standard load, very beneficial up close!  :icon_thumright:
I have heard good things about the 3rd degree. I also heard good things about the HS Magnum Blend which is kinda the same thing minus the flight control wad and they use heavier shot than lead. I think I might be narrowing down to those 2 and maybe try the #7s suggested earlier.

Borden811

Quote from: silencer223 on March 26, 2016, 11:27:03 AM

H13 #7 gets my vote

Your mind couldn't be more wrong, lol. Hevi13 7s, and even more so federal heavyweight 7s will absolutely wreck a turkey at any responsible yardage. Personally,  for what you want, I'd go with the hevi13 7s.

BINK McCARTY

H13 #7 gets my vote
Idk, my minds been conditioned that 7's are too small for turkeys.. To give you an idea of just how potent the Federal Heavyweight #7s are I performed a penetration test at 100 yds. they passed THRU a 5/8" piece of pressed board. They weigh 15g/cc whereas Hevi Magblend weighs 12g/cc and lead weighs 11g/cc. Fed.HW #7s hit HARDER than lead #5s @ 40yds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapa

BINK McCARTY

Federal Heavyweight #7s hit HARDER than do lead #5s @ 40yds. I did a penetration test and @ 100yds. the FED.HW passed THRU 5/8" particle board!!!

Farmboy27

There is no such load that ideal at 15 yards and also at 50.  If your looking for a 40 yard killer then it's going to be pretty tight at 15. If you have a nice open pattern at 15, it's gonna fall apart by 40.

silencer223

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 26, 2016, 05:00:11 PM
There is no such load that ideal at 15 yards and also at 50.  If your looking for a 40 yard killer then it's going to be pretty tight at 15. If you have a nice open pattern at 15, it's gonna fall apart by 40.
Hmmm.. I still think there's one out there. 3rd degrees are pretty good at that atleast from what I've heard

Tom Foolery

H13 #7 gets my vote

I've killed them from 15yds to over 50yds with H13 #7's.  HTL #7's are the most lethal shot I've put through my turkey guns. 

A guy I hunt with made fun of me for shooting "skeet shot" through my turkey gun with the 7's.  After seeing me stone one at a shade over 50 (misjudged rushed shot) he ditched his #4 lead for some 7's.

Longshanks

Hevi 13 3/2/7's
Federal HW 3/ 1 5/8/ 7's
Winchester XX 3/2/6's

Longshanks

Quote from: PALongspur on March 26, 2016, 05:35:58 AM

How does that shell pattern at 40 yards. Im shooting Beretta/ .655 Jebs. Turned some good hunting patterns with Fed HW 7's this morning and I have a box of the third degree. Hoping since its FCW it will shoot somewhat like the 7's.

DirtNap647

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on March 26, 2016, 01:00:10 PM
Federal Heavyweight #7s hit HARDER than do lead #5s @ 40yds. I did a penetration test and @ 100yds. the FED.HW passed THRU 5/8" particle board!!!
Now that's impressive