OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New gun, few questions?

Started by kdfester, March 25, 2016, 09:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdfester

I found an almost new h&r topper deluxe  in 12 gauge with 3.5in chamber. Anyone know what the camo pattern is called? I know it has a little age to it but would anyone know when it would've been manufactured? It came with a factory choke but no markings. Anyone know what thread pattern it takes or what loads to start with? Thanks guys

Bowguy

SKFOOTER

Looks like Original Bottomland camo.

Dr Juice

coonhunter

Your a MAN if you shoot the 3 1/2's in that single barrel!  My 870 sm  is awful to shoot I could not imagine shooting one in that! 
Joshua 24:15

mightyjoeyoung

That's tree bark camo.  Not bottom land.  Similar to the original NWTF 835 camo
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

kdfester

Yea I imagine I'll be working on the 3in platform since it is so light. Even that will plant me I'm sure.

kdfester

If you look close it has similar making to bottomland but also has full outlined leaves on it as well.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: kdfester on March 25, 2016, 09:43:38 AM
I found an almost new h&r topper deluxe  in 12 gauge with 3.5in chamber. Anyone know what the camo pattern is called? I know it has a little age to it but would anyone know when it would've been manufactured? It came with a factory choke but no markings. Anyone know what thread pattern it takes or what loads to start with? Thanks guys

Congratulations. I've had a couple of those guns over the years and the ones that I had that looked similar were made in the mid to late 1990s as I recall. They may not have been the exact same model but they looked very similar. I've lost track of all the different camo patterns, so can't be of any real help to you there.

I do remember that the bores in those guns were really slick and shiny. It should be threaded for Win-Chokes, so you have a wide selection to choose from if you need another choke for it.

You should be able to do all that's necessary with a 3" shell. I'd recommend the 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot. That shell will cleanly kill a turkey at any reasonable & ethical range, without terrible recoil in that gun. I'd also recommend that you give the new Triple Beard shells from Hevi-Shot a try. It's a lead shell that throws some very good patterns and again, is not as punishing as some other loads.

The WLB shells are of course very popular and do a good job. If you choose those shells, I'd recommend the 1 7/8 oz load of #6 shot. They pattern better with most chokes than the 1 3/4 oz loads.

I would recommend that you deep clean the bore of that gun, just to get it started off correctly and you may want to consider a slip on recoil pad over the one that's on it. With the age of that gun, the factory pad has probably "cured" a good bit and is probably very hard by this time. A slip on pad would at least be advised for patterning, if not for hunting.

You have a nice gun and it should work well for you. Best of luck with it and in the turkey season.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

lowoctane

Happy Easter! Had a similar gun by NEF until my brother in law talked me out of it and it came with a 1" solid steel rod in stock channel, where you insert the tool to take off the stock from the receiver. I did try the 3.5"
loads but the 3" ones did pattern better. Even with the added weight, recoil was stout but not in the heat of battle! As I recall, the rod was held in by wood screws near the recoil pad. If you become disenchanted with it, please let me know.  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Tom Foolery

Quote from: coonhunter on March 25, 2016, 11:19:05 AM
Your a MAN if you shoot the 3 1/2's in that single barrel!  My 870 sm  is awful to shoot I could not imagine shooting one in that!

Seen a guy around here get one and he took that old weight out of the butt stock, "too heavy".  Plopped down on a cooler, dropped in a 3.5" turkey bomb and let'r rip at about 30yds.  He had set the cooler and himself right on the edge of a hill in his yard.  As the gun went off he and the cooler rolled all the way to the bottom of his yard over that hill.  He stood up, dragged the cooler back to the top, took the recoil pad off and put the weight back in.  He looked like a horse on steroids kicked him he was so bruised.  I laughed my butt off watching him tumble to the bottom of his yard being chased by his cooler.  LOL

Great looking gun, I'd stick with 3" shells.

jordanz7935

Sweet gun and great find ! Those full camo H&R s are classics! I've never seen one in treebark camo. Do a search online you'll be able to find out what year it was made based on the serial #.

OldSchool

I can't help with any info, but congrats on your new gun. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

jtg88

Quote from: coonhunter on March 25, 2016, 11:19:05 AM

Agreed! I've got that same gun but in a 3" chamber and it hits like Mike Tyson. Absolutely miserable to shoot at paper but you never feel it on a gobbler.

Buckeye_Strutter_935

Feathers Fear Me