OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is a box call for locating?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 23, 2016, 06:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I was sitting outside practicing on my box call and it seems like it is a little too loud. It got me thinking, is a box call used for locating, or is mine just overly loud?

nsselle

Box call in my opinion is the most versatile call. To answer your question direct, no.  Watch a few you tube videos on how to hold the call, (marlin watkins has a few good ones) place the handle of box between your two fingers and shorten up your strokes, you can be as quite or as loud as you so choose. If your really looking to get softer try a scratch box or a yelper.

jed clampett

Turkey hunters have used box calls and especially long boxes for longer than I probably can remember for locating....especially run an gunning...short an long boxes can be used for anything
...locating...calling to the gun soft calling...if ya know how to run one they are so versatile

CMBOSTC

They can be used for locating... I use mine all of the time for locating. They can also be played softer, just ease off the pressure on the sound board with the paddle.

Chris

Bolandstrutters

I killed many turkeys with only a box call in my vest. 

strutnrut

Box calls are a full range call. From the limb to the gun. It's how you run one that determines you limitations.

SS Calls

Quote from: strutnrut on March 24, 2016, 08:46:02 AM
Box calls are a full range call. From the limb to the gun. It's how you run one that determines you limitations.

x2

Spitten and drummen

in my opinion , there isn't another call that has more realism than a box. if I could only have one call to work a turkey from start to finish , it would be a good box call. I have heard a ton of hen turkeys over the years and a majority sound like a rookie on a old rough sounding box call. this is just my opinion. also as far as getting a hen fired up and coming in towing her boyfriend behind , the box has done it more than other calls for me. the most important thing in all of it is your confidence in a particular style of call. if you are confident in a certain call , you seem to use it more , therefore increasing the odds of gobbler responses to it. again just my 2 cents.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

beakbuster10

If you can run a box, it's all you need. I know a few old timers that have turkey hunted, successfully, for their entire lives with the same box call. I'll leave my gun at home before I leave my box call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudhen

Yep, all you need....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

mgm1955

davisd9

A box call is for killing.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

howl

Folks that ride around hanging out their truck window sure seem to think so.

Yoder409

Quote from: davisd9 on March 24, 2016, 03:46:16 PM

DANG !!!!    EXACTLY the 6 words I was gonna type !!!

So I'll just say "Yep.  What he said.  Yep. "
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Marc

Quote from: davisd9 on March 24, 2016, 03:46:16 PM
Now that is a true statment!

Easiest call to do a soft tree yelp, and best call to get loud on...

They are not all created equal though...  And as they are all unique, if you have one you like, it cannot be replaced...  Addictive to use, and addictive to buy.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.