Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Transporting Strutter Fan in Field?

Started by Row Jimmy, March 23, 2016, 05:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Row Jimmy

How do you guys transport your strutter fan in the field?  Are you using a tail saver type device or do you have a collapsible fan?  Other?

Thanks for any insight.

cornfedkiller

I wanted something that folded up and was more compact that a tailsaver, so I bought a "Lucky Fan Kit" from "Lucky Duck". Got mine off ebay, but thats beside the point. Followed their directions and got the fan all put together, which was very easy.

I had to drill a hole a little higher up in the bracket to make it mount correctly to my DSD strutter. I drilled a 5/16" hole, and it fits perfectly over the decoy's mounting stud, and I don't even have to use the nut or washers on it.

I then made a box to carry the fan when it is folded down. The corners of the box are reinforced with wooden dowels so that it is strong and wont get crushed in my pack. I covered it in fabric (an old t-shirt), and spray painted it black after the pics were taken, then treated the fabric with a scotch-guard type treatment so that it is water resistant and any rain or dew I encounter does not make the cardboard soggy. The box is 18" x 7.5" and only 1.5" thick, so it will fit nicely in my Blind Hog along with my blind and other gear.

eddie234

I have a tri fold from primos.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Row Jimmy

Thanks for the info.

I am looking at one of the Expedite folding fan deals.  Wondering if they will fit/work on the Avian X strutter?  Anybody has experience with this system?

Thanks again.

beakbuster10

Quote from: eddie234 on March 23, 2016, 06:03:35 PM
I have a tri fold from primos.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I have the primos as well. It's ready to go in less than a second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Row Jimmy

Can't find the Primos Fan holder anywhere.  Seems to be discontinued.

cornfedkiller

I have the Primos one as well (came with the Killer-B decoy), but it doesn't work with my DSD strutter, so thats the reason I went with the Lucky Duck one.  I also think the Lucky Duck one folds up smaller and is easier to transport.

CMBOSTC

I have the killer-B. That DSD strutter looks pretty good though, may need to upgrade. I've never seen the lucky duck thing before, looks pretty cool.

Chris

TRG3

I've used the same real fan for the past 5+ years. I just clip it on the draw string of same sack that has my Pretty Boy. Since I don't go more that 300-400 yards from the truck, it's easily transported. In addition, any gobbler that I take, I save the fans for future use by trimming off the fat/muscle abound the base of the fan and then using an abundance of borax on both sides of the tail's base before tacking the spread fan via cardboard with shingle nails and then letting it dry for a month or more, assuring me that I have a future supply of gobbler fans. I also save the wings, trimming off the bones and flesh before again using borax to preserve the skin that is holding the remaining feathers in place. Later, I'll use these on my arrows which I use for bow hunting deer.