turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Big Gobbler Down in CA

Started by TRKYHTR, April 01, 2011, 05:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

I have a flock of turkeys that live and roost 400 yards from my back door. 3 years ago I spotted a nice gobbler strutting with hens. I have kept my eyes on him for the last 3 years. I decided that if he was still around this spring he would be on my hit list. I figured him to be at least 5 and maybe 6. I drove down there 3 weeks ago and sure enough he was still there. He also had a side kick last year that had a good long beard and he was also still there. The flock is up to 25 turkeys with 3 longbeards and 8 Jakes so I decided he had lived long enough to pass on his genes. I hunted him for the first time on Tuesday. He had 12 hens and they wouldn't budge from each other. So I watched and learned some valuable information. I saw where they were entering the small walnut orchard. Yesterday I drove down to the guy who owns the land, who gave me permission to kill that turkey. We talked for a little bit and I told him I was going to be there in the morning to try to kill that turkey. He said no problem. Then I walked over to see where I could set up in the morning. There was absolutely no where to sit. There was a small pile of limbs they had just cut from the orchard but nothing to sit against. So I decided I would bring my blind in there and set it up against that pile of limbs. So I was there 1 hour before daylight. He was already gobbling by the way. I got things set up and I put one of my mounted hens out. I placed her at 25 yards to give me a reference on how far things were when it got light, not to mention to coax that gobbler into range. After flydown I was looking at my site on my gun and seeing if I could shoot yet, I even pointed at a magpie. When I brought my gun down something caught my eye. There was a hen right next to the blind. BTW I have only hunted out of a blind 3 times in my life and hated it not to mention never killing a turkey out of it. I had called several time with a box call and my mouth call. He gobbled to everything and only heard 1 hen yelp all morning. So I was surprised when the hen was standing next to the blind. I knew it was fixin to happen. Then there was more hens, then a big gobbler and an Jake came out. The gobbler and Jake went left and down a gravel road, away from me. By this time the first hen had fed out a little and saw my decoy. She postured up and marched right for my decoy. Then 2 other hens joined in. They were all bowed up next to my decoy and one started pecking the head. The hens aggressive purring and behavior sparked the interest of the gobbler and Jake and they came in a hurry as well. I still hadn't seen the big gobbler. About that time I saw movement to the left and there he was. All puffed up and displaying. Then he too went to the left and away from me. At this point I was trying to decide if I wanted to shoot the gobbler at my decoy or wait to see if the big boy was going to come. I waited for the big gobbler because that is why I was there. He just couldn't stand all the commotion. He went straight for the decoy and ran the other turkeys off. Then strutted right up next to her. I putted trying to get his head up but he was too involved and didn't flinch. He finally turned and gave me a broadside view, when he did he came out of strut just enough to get his head away from his feathers and the Benelli roared. He was down for good. He is a great turkey: 22.1 lbs, 1 1/4" spurs, and 9 7/8" beard. I will be making a memory of a lifetime with him hanging on my wall.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

chatterbox

Congrats Joe! He's a magnificent bird! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

REBELYELL

Way to smack em Joe, you just might get to 100.

:icon_thumright:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Flydown

Congratulations Joe! That is a Stud of a turkey!!!!!!! :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:

stinkpickle

Basin_hunter

Very nice ! He should make a good mount. Congrats !  :you_rock:
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

jshively

hobbes

Congrats, he's a beauty of a bird!  I bet he'll look great on your wall. 

I've got to get myself a bird that color one of these days.

pittboss

Congrats Joe :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: I'm glad it all worked out for you

pittboss
Gobble Gobble Boom !!!!!

JVA54

TRKYHTR

Glad to see you here Ronnie and congrats on your Osceola. You da man.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

kj

Joe, congratulations on a great bird and a great story.  That is one big bird.  But his time had come.  Be sure to share pictures of the mount when complete.

WyoHunter

Congrats! Great story, fine bird and good pics!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!