turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting in the afternoon.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 22, 2016, 09:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

What are your thoughts on hunting in the afternoon? I am working 8am to 4pm, and can be in the woods by 4:30pm. Would I just be wasting my time trying to hunt in the afternoon, or is it worth a shot?

From what I understand, hunting that late in the day is basically a matter of happening to be between where the turkeys are and where they roost, so you can catch them on their way back to roost. Is this correct, or is hunting in the afternoon no different than hunting in the morning?

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Cottonmouth

Afternoons can be deadly around here. Especially later in the season. Try to be around a known roosting area and do some light calling.  Don't expect a ton of gobbling.  They like to sneak in so keep your eyes open.

The Cohutta Strutter

Exactly. With the schedule you have you will be well served to locate as many roost areas as you can that would be practical for you to hunt.
Anybody seen America lately?

Spitten and drummen

I have killed some of my best birds in the afternoon. set up in a place where there is fresh sign or close to a regular roosting area. tone down your calling and don't call a whole lot. more than half the time , if one gobbles at me he comes in. if not , I slip out quietly. a lot of the times , one I never heard will be roosted close to where I was calling from the morning before. the more you hunt , the better your odds. afternoon hunting can be boring , but at any time , can go from zero to a 100 at a drop of a hat. as mentioned , several have come in not making a sound. stay alert and stay patient. good luck.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

davisd9

May birds die in the afternoons.  Good time to work up a feeding tom.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Hooksfan

Hunting in the PM is no more a roost hunt than hunting in the AM--at least not the way I do it. 
I will say this.....if a bird gobbles on his own in the afternoon, the chances are very high he will take a ride in my truck.

stinkpickle

It's definitely not a waste of time.  One tip though...make sure you hunt far enough away from the roost that you have a route to sneak out after the sun goes down.

Cleveland48

I agree if one is gobbling in the afternoon there is high chance of taking him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tha bugman

+1
Quote from: Hooksfan on March 23, 2016, 12:39:22 PM
Hunting in the PM is no more a roost hunt than hunting in the AM--at least not the way I do it. 
I will say this.....if a bird gobbles on his own in the afternoon, the chances are very high he will take a ride in my truck.

TauntoHawk

A gobbling bird in the afternoon is a killable bird, you can also head to known roost sites. itd be pretty easy to swing by your spot before work at fly down listen to where they are at and come back after work and slip in to where you heard them. Not 100% but good chances they will go back to that same area to roost again since you weren't out messing with them all day.

The ONLY part I hate about afternoon hunting is the heat.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>