OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NorthCentral Kansas...snakes

Started by captpete, March 22, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captpete

I have friend headed out to north central Kansas on a turkey hunt and he was wondering if he needed snake boots.

spaightlabs

Only if he sees a snake. :toothy12:

I've never run into any snakes while hunting that area...your mileage may vary.

Mike Honcho

NO but a good cougar proof set of camo drawers might be handy.

I've never seen one but have seen them on game cameras.

My business  partner hunts in North Central KS and there's one on the farm he hunts....they have seen it twice.

Hooksfan

Rattlesnakes everywhere. I also stepped in an inhabited badger hole. Locals slashed my tires, and I had to run for my life from a tornado. And that ain't even taking into consideration the mountain lions and chupacabras. I will never go back. SCARIEST place I have ever been.

owlhoot

click your heels three times and it all goes away.

beware of the wicked witch of the west, i dated her for a bit. she can be hard to handle.   :help:

renegade19

Quote from: owlhoot on March 22, 2016, 09:19:08 PM

beware of the wicked witch of the west, i dated her for a bit. she can be hard to handle.   :help:

Was the before or after I divorced her daughter?   ;D

captpete

Lots of help guys!!!  :laugh: :laugh:  I'll warm him about the lions, tigers, bears and Dorthy...which is the biggest threat?????

owlhoot

Quote from: renegade19 on March 22, 2016, 09:20:38 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on March 22, 2016, 09:19:08 PM

Was the before or after I divorced her daughter?   ;D
during 8)

owlhoot

Quote from: captpete on March 22, 2016, 09:44:56 PM
Lots of help guys!!!  :laugh: :laugh:  I'll warm him about the lions, tigers, bears and Dorthy...which is the biggest threat?????
That Dorothy is a wolf in sheep clothing, a friday night girl for sure :z-flirtysmile3:

spaightlabs

Quote from: Mike Honcho on March 22, 2016, 08:55:12 PM
NO but a good cougar proof set of camo drawers might be handy.

I've never seen one but have seen them on game cameras.

My business  partner hunts in North Central KS and there's one on the farm he hunts....they have seen it twice.

Well hell Mike - that's gone make me a bit less comfortable walking in when it is dark...thanks a lot!  Niiiiice Kitty...gooooood kitty.

spaightlabs

Quote from: Hooksfan on March 22, 2016, 09:06:18 PM
Rattlesnakes everywhere. I also stepped in an inhabited badger hole. Locals slashed my tires, and I had to run for my life from a tornado. And that ain't even taking into consideration the mountain lions and chupacabras. I will never go back. SCARIEST place I have ever been.

I see you found old Leroy's stash, eh?   ;D

spaightlabs

Quote from: captpete on March 22, 2016, 09:44:56 PM

Snapping turtles.  Find this things in the dangdest places out there.  I've found several in the middle of alfalfa fields just cruising around.

owlhoot

Turkey hunting there a few years back , back at the truck for a cool drink and a fella comes walking up the road and we notice he has a bolt action rifle , beginning to wonder if we are hunting the right place?
Ask him what caliber his turkey gun is , he says 270 and that he takes it with him on his walks since he lost his little lap dog while out fishing the pond on his place down the road. Said a mountain lion grabbed him up just on the other side from where he was sitting there fishing a few weeks ago.
Now he could be telling a story , but the tears from his eyes sure looked real to me. So we told him if that cat comes looking for a turkey dinner we sure would help him get some payback!
He told us we were more than welcome to hunt his creek bottom too after that. We didn't even ask.

BowBendr

Just last nite my wife said,"I'll be glad when it's time for your KS hunt"....
My goodness, she knows about the cougars and snakes...maybe she hopes the chupacabra will snatch me up !!

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Mike Honcho

In all seriousness I grew up on a farm in SC Kansas and now live in NE Kansas, hunt both places and some in NC Kansas.

I have never worn snake boots in my life.  I have never seen a live or dead rattler in Kansas but there are a very few.

We do have water moccassins but probably not near as many as guys in the south and east do.

I cross creeks in the dark all the time but I don't ever think too much about snakes, try to keep my eyes open where I cross, use small flashlight.