OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nice first hunt of the year

Started by Cottonmouth, March 19, 2016, 06:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cottonmouth

Had some luck this morning. I got up and it was cold and windy. I went out to the center of a big lease we have and finally one gobbled at 6:57. He flew down and gobbled 2 more times and shut up. I figured he was henned up so I just did some soft purrs and clucks trying to pull the hens in. About that time 3 hens came storming into the field and started feeding. One had a skinny little 6 in beard!
  15 minutes later....no gobbler. I started purring again and about 12 hens including a white one came into the field. Then I heard that sweet sound....Drumming!  I thought I would never get a clear shot without hitting a hen but he finally moved out to the side offering me a clear shot. The old 870 did what it's supposed to do.
  Finally got some relief from seeing turkeys on the road all week while I was working.

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Big perm2

Well my first was terrible I have been listening to a bird for over a week, Tuesday he gobbles a few times nothing spectacular, but wensday he lit the woods up and Thursday and also yesterday!!! Get up extra early this morning walk in the hardwoods close to where I think he is, I'm looking at stuff on my phone waitng on the woods to wake up, then all of a sudden he lights it up 20 yrds behind me in a pine tree, all I can do is melt down in the logging road I'm standing in. Watching a bird gobble 25 yrds from you in a tree at daylight is a beautiful sight!! He starts to get a little nervous so I know he is getting ready to fly down, the I see him squat and spread his wings. He pitches right towards me, I litterly  have to wave my hands to keep him from flying straight into my lap!!! My first shot he is at 3 yrds!! My second he is at 5 yrds then he gets behind a tree on me and off he goes!!! Needless to say I go home empty handed!!!

Talkem into given up!!!

tomstopper

Gobspur

Nice job man!  More than one beard? Or just the way picture looks maybe

Cottonmouth

No he just had one beard. A lot of our birds here have beards that twist up like a cork screw or a pig tail. It was a little wet and spread out.

wmn2

g8rvet

Cold and windy + field = dead gobbler.  Nice job brother.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Rio Fan

Spitten and drummen

Cold windy and overcast. I'm in southwest ms. 3 of us hunted our 1200 acre lease and didn't hear a bird. They been gobbling good until this am. Oh well , tomorrow is another day and the weather is suppose to improve.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wvmntnhick

Congrats o the bird. Looks like a good one.

owlhoot

:icon_thumright:congrats nice bird!

Drthorn