Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

California turkeys possibly unwelcome...

Started by Lonehowl, March 18, 2016, 05:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonehowl

Marc

I am not opposed to such study...

I have noticed that areas with high turkey populations also tend to have low valley quail populations...  Always wondered about that myself.  And as the turkey population has thrived in the Sacramento Valley, the pheasant population has plummeted.  (I do understand that there are areas of the country where both pheasants and turkeys thrive together, but that does not mean they will do so everywhere.  I also feel there are other issues affecting our pheasant populations).

I'd argue that introducing wolves into Yellow Stone was a horrible idea...  I'd also argue that introducing any new species into an area should be thought out and studied before doing so.

I enjoy the opportunity to hunt turkey in the spring, and enjoy seeing them in the woods...  But honestly, I would rather keep our native quail around, and if I did find that they were detrimental to other species, I would not be so eager to have them introduced to new areas.

Now, if they find that turkeys are not detrimental, I would certainly be eager to see more introductions of birds into sustainable areas for them...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

born2hunt

I imagine that turkeys probably cause cancer in California. Everything else seems to.

There is no plant or animal, deer included that could give me as much enjoyment as a turkey, so I don't care what they eat. I want them to thrive.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

silvestris

A "problem" that could be alleviated if the Mexifornia tree huggers would quit fighting their natural Hunter-gatherer instincts.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

southern_leo

Don't worry I'm sure California will vote for Hillary then she can outlaw guns. Then no one can hunt so no concerns.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rick Howard

Classic.... Intro a wolf that's pretty and fuzzy folks is for it... Intro turkey which have a more acquired  sense of beauty and.... We find reasons to condem. 

OldSchool

My God, doesn't California have enough to worry about without throwing turkeys into the mix? Leave them alone and let the turkeys, bugs and plants work it out for themselves. I've never seen a plant or a bug I wouldn't trade for a turkey. If they start getting to the point of overpopulation, thin them out.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Turkeyman11

That's a shocker that California would find something else to worry about.  It's not as if they don't have enough problems already......quick, somebody say they saw someone harassing a mountain lion.  That'll make em forget all about the turkeys!

worth612000

Sounds to me the turkeys are there to stay. The story was so back and forth that I think somebody took too many coffee breaks and had to put something together fast. Could be the writers mother belongs to the rose club!

tomstopper

Quote from: OldSchool on March 19, 2016, 07:46:04 AM
My God, doesn't California have enough to worry about without throwing turkeys into the mix? Leave them alone and let the turkeys, bugs and plants work it out for themselves. I've never seen a plant or a bug I wouldn't trade for a turkey. If they start getting to the point of overpopulation, thin them out.

Bob
Exactly what I was thinking. Dang they eat small bugs and nuts. It's not like they are taking down deer or elk. I would think in today's time California would have more to worry about.

Marc

Quote from: southern_leo on March 19, 2016, 06:26:58 AM
Don't worry I'm sure California will vote for Hillary then she can outlaw guns. Then no one can hunt so no concerns.
LA and San Francisco control the politics in California.  Outside of the very large metropolitan areas, California is primarily agricultural.  We would love to see the electoral college done away with, or at the very least divided into counties.

Turkeys are here in California to stay...  But they are a non-native species, and anytime we mess with mother nature, things can go haywire.  I would be opposed to getting rid of them, but I certainly understand the reservations of introducing them to new areas.

Wolves in Yellowstone, snakehead fish in Florida, Asian carp (which are not predatory) have all caused serious issues.  I am certainly not opposed to the introduction of turkeys to new areas, but would not want to do so without a good understanding of the impact they have had to native species (both plant and animal) in areas where they have been introduced.

It has been my non-scientific observation, that areas that hold high turkey populations hold low (or lower) valley quail numbers in what would normally be ideal habitat conditions.  I have access to a couple of really nice ranches to hunt quail, and I would be hesitant at this point to introduce turkeys to these areas because of my own observations.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Cottonmouth

I don't see turkeys causing a problem anywhere. Like Marc mentioned about the Asian carp - I bowfish all summer and I guarantee you I can sink a boat in 3 hrs with 10-25lb carp.

fallhnt

Hate to be in your boat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Cottonmouth