OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

MS gobbler down!!!

Started by Spurs, March 18, 2016, 04:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs

This was my second year hunting MS.  I have always wanted to go, but I work pipeline and usually hunt on the road.  I went last year to a spot with my BIL and was able to make the last two days of the youth hunt with my dad and son.  We were lucky enough to get a gobbler at 25 yards with my son, but couldn't close the deal. 

First morning:  went to a spot where I missed one last year.  Didn't hear anything and to hit the road.  While we were traveling to a spot, a gobbler crossed the road in front of us.  We circled around about a half mile in front of him and got him gobbling.  It took some time, but he finally came in.  Now, my son is 10 and he wasn't able to move his gun on his own.  This was the first time to have a gobbler this close to him and I honestly think he was scared to death. 

Day two:  we were able to roost a bird in an area that held several birds last year.  After getting in tight on his location, he started gobbling on the roost.  Well, as many know, my son started to get fidgety.  We had no clue that we had 3 hens right above us and the busted us.  As soon as the busted out of the tree, the gobbler quite and that was the end of the hunt. 

My boy hung tough with in the hills, he is gunna make a straight turkey killer one day.

After the my dad and son left, I began my permit hunt for the first two days. 

Day one....0

Day 2:  I went to a bottom that had tons of sign.  0 from the roost.  I decided that since I had to leave around noon, that I would go to a private field the was surrounded by public.  After watching a couple of hens come out of a small bottom, I decided to see what was going on down there.  I found a small trail running the edge of the hardwoods.  I hit my box one time with no response.  I walked about 75 yards and saw some fresh gobbler tracks.  I usually walk a little further before calling again, but something told me to give it a shot...GOOBBBLLLLEEE!!!  He was SUPER close.  As soon as I set down, I heard drumming.  This went on for a few minutes, then all the sudden it stopped.  I was abound to make a call, when 2 hens came up from behind me.  They came to the creek and for some unknown reason, they decided to turn back, but not before cranking out a goodbye call...that was all that it took, GOBBBB LLLLLEEE!!!  Here he comes!!!  25 steps, 7/8" Spurs, 9.25 beard.  Love the timer on the iPhone...

This year is going to suck!!!

Beards and Hooks

Congrats awesome picture and nice Gobbler!

OldSchool

Beautiful bird, congrats!! Glad you were able to spend some time outdoors with your son and your dad too. :icon_thumright:

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

owlhoot

Tomcat655

Roger that .. Copiah county bout to get it haha

Greg Massey

Nice story and great bird..

tha bugman

Boom chika boom!  Awesome hunt!

backwater

Congratulations.    Good story and pictures.

Chad Snyder

bammerslammer 50

Congratulations. Thanks for sharing

cramerhunts

Congratulations on a beautiful bird! Thanks for the story and pictures.

Dr Juice

Congrats. My blood is coming to a boil :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

KYFrid

Great story and pics. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cottonmouth

Good job and thanks for the story.