turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Adding wings/fans to foam decoys

Started by John donovan, March 17, 2016, 06:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John donovan

Anyone do this? How would I go about mounting these to the decoy?
Remington 870 express

fallhnt

Use spray foam to fill up the body cavity on the decoy. Use a little foam at a time and let it dry. Once decoy is filled,cut off the tail portion and mount your fan. The decoy will be heaver than you think when finished.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

KYHeadhunter02

I guess that's the mistake I made. I shot an entire can of foam in my decoy last year. It never cured and I had a mess. I took an old fan and ran screws in the meaty bottom portion. I cut 2 metal coat hangers and bent them around the screws. I just staked it behind my jake decoy. Killed a nice bird over him last year. I was hoping he would attack the decoy and give a show, but he didn't.

jims

I added wings and a real fan to a couple tom decoys.  I drilled holes through the side of the decoy where I want the wings and used a pair of bolts, nuts and super large washers to attach the wings.  You need 2 bolt positions or the wings move around.  I painted the bolts/washers black.  Most tom decoys allow the exchange of fake with real tail feathers.

Stickbow98

I kept mine light and simple. No added weight by using foam, they're bulky enough already.
Hot-glued wings on the sides and used a large piece of Velcro on both the deke body and the fan(s)
so it is easily attached, removeable, and I can use either a Jake or a Full fan depending on the situation.
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

MK M GOBL

Part would depend on the decoy... Here is an old Feather Flex Tommy T Decoy I fixed up with a real fan about 16 years ago. His was easy, I just slit the foam and fashioned a wire coat hanger into the holder. I also scalloped the feathers for more detail and tied up a beard out of marabou hair, eventually added wings a few years after. I cut slits in the body slid the wings in and were held in place with a couple of zip ties.

I use DSD's now and they way more realistic.

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Strick9

Pro Tip.. When you use actual wings and fans be sure to remove absolutely as much meat as you can and dry them well..

Don't use them in the rain or you will have a foul smell aboding in your vehicle for sometime, especially if you leave them wet in the vehicle for a couple of days..
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Strick9 on March 29, 2016, 11:22:39 AM
Pro Tip.. When you use actual wings and fans be sure to remove absolutely as much meat as you can and dry them well..

Don't use them in the rain or you will have a foul smell aboding in your vehicle for sometime, especially if you leave them wet in the vehicle for a couple of days..

We just use automotive bondo, problem solved. Just cover the base of tail on both sides and the butt end of wing.

MK M GOBL