turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Eyeglass wearers question

Started by BowBendr, March 17, 2016, 04:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

I'm not a eyeglass wearer although I will wear sunglasses hunting when it's real bright out but my dad wears em and I got him a bunkerhead facemask and he raves about how it stopped fogging for him and easier to use a mouthcall and less hot

http://bunkerhead.pinnaclecart.com/bunkerhead-systems/bunkerhead-system-mossy-oak-breakup-infinity-net/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Turkeyman

I also wear glasses. I find the overall weight to be the most undesirable feature. Thus my criteria is the lightest frames possible. Now, this generally means the most expensive but it is what it is. Since I adopted this I don't have them continually sliding down my nose and such.

Marc

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 17, 2016, 06:20:40 PM
I'll be wearing prescription shooting glasses while turkey hunting this year, for the first time.  I've been using the same frames (Decot Hy-Wyd) for sporting clays for years.  The lenses are interchangeable. The ear pieces loop over the backs of your ears.  The glasses stay in place well and sit high on the face for proper alignment when shooting with the head tilted slightly forward.
I actually sell Decots...  Not my favorite frame for hunting, as they are heavy.  For me, the Decots are an uncomfortable frame to wear for extended periods, and I find that for more physically active activities that they are a poor choice.  They are a fine choice for targets, and the variety of lens colors is nice for clays, but for my needs they have a pretty specific niche. 

I would rather go with Oakley or my current Switch sports frames...  Oakley and Wiley X make sports frames which are far more light and every bit as protective...

Honestly, I would go with a sports frame that fits well...  Wiley X, Oakely, Liberty Optical, Nike, etc...  They are all good, and when choosing a frame for myself, I look for fit and comfort and warranty. 

As far as lenses, Anti-glare coatings are great for vision and reduce fogging, but they also smudge and get dirtier more quickly and easily.  You can also ask about anti-fog coatings which do to some degree reduce (but not eliminate) fogging issues.  There are also a number of anti-fogging agents you can add to your glasses that can help.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Marc on March 18, 2016, 09:57:13 PM
For me, the Decots are an uncomfortable frame to wear for extended periods, and I find that for more physically active activities that they are a poor choice.
This hasn't been my personal experience.  I've worn them dawn to dusk on numerous grouse, quail and pheasant hunts and never given them another thought.  Aspects of their design that I really appreciate are that they sit very high, much higher than my driving glasses, for example, and have a wide field of view.  So when I tip my head forward, when wingshooting, or as I like to do when set up turkey calling and waiting, the first thing to obscure my vision is the brim of my hat, not the frame of the glasses.  The aviator style ear hooks do a great job of keeping them in place.  I certainly wouldn't mind them being lighter, but the frames I have only weigh 17g and they are the largest size. I've thought about going with high index material for my next Rx lenses, but read that for hunting hi index should be combined with anti reflective coatings to reduce reflected glare.

Marc

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 19, 2016, 01:42:43 PM
I've thought about going with high index material for my next Rx lenses, but read that for hunting hi index should be combined with anti reflective coatings to reduce reflected glare.
I would not fix what ain't broke.  Decot makes a good pair of glasses, I simply prefer something a bit lighter for my active pursuits.

Anti-reflective (i.e. anti-glare or AR) coatings reduce glare and improve vision on any lens.  Thinner lenses have more inherent aberrations or distortion (the thinner the lens, the more distortion), so AR coatings are more important for these materials (i.e. high-index, polycarbonate, Trivex), but AR coatings are beneficial to any lens material.  The exception would be glass, I would NOT recommend an AR coating for someone still using glass lenses.

All AR does is transmit more light through the lens as opposed to reflecting it off the surface...  It does not reduce glare of objects you are looking at (as do polarized dark lenses) it reduces the glare off the surface of the lens itself.

Not only do most people see better out of them, but they have less reflections and make it tougher for game to spot you because of glare off the lens...  They do pick up dust and oil easier and smudge far more easily though.  If you get AR pay do not skimp on them, and pay for quality.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Marc on March 20, 2016, 09:48:26 PM
Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 19, 2016, 01:42:43 PM
I've thought about going with high index material for my next Rx lenses, but read that for hunting hi index should be combined with anti reflective coatings to reduce reflected glare.
All AR does is transmit more light through the lens as opposed to reflecting it off the surface...  It does not reduce glare of objects you are looking at (as do polarized dark lenses) it reduces the glare off the surface of the lens itself.

Not only do most people see better out of them, but they have less reflections and make it tougher for game to spot you because of glare off the lens...  They do pick up dust and oil easier and smudge far more easily though.  If you get AR pay do not skimp on them, and pay for quality.
Thanks Marc, good info.  Yes, that is what I want --- to reduce light reflections from the surface of the lenses so that they are less likely to spook the birds.