OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester SXP opinions?

Started by troutfisher13111, March 16, 2016, 12:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

Anyone have an opinion on the Winchester SXP Turkey Hunter? How does it compare to quality to a Remington 870? I am considering one for my next turkey gun. Really want to set up a 20ga pump as a dedicated turkey slayer.

Reloader

I have one that I purchased just prior to last season.  I've only carried it a few times hunting and killed one nice tom with it.  It patterns really well, better than my 870 youth model, but it takes a back seat to the 870.  It's a nice gun and as far as your question, I'd rate it fit and finish wise in between an 870 and a Mossberg.  I've only hunted 3 20ga pumps: 870, SXP, and 500 Bantam.  I felt the SXP was better quality than the 500, but not quite as refined as the 870.  I feel it will be a great gun and Intend to hunt it more in the future.  It's very similar to my two 12ga 1300s and I love 1300s.  My only gripe with the gun is the trigger, the trigger is long and very creepy.  It's not a simple spring swap to fix the issue like an 870 either, but I plan to eventually tear into it and fix the issue. 

The gun came with TG Pro Series sights, which are great sights IMO.  My eyes are just not what the once were, so I've had to go to optics on all of my turkey rigs.  I primarily run FFs, but since I had just got this gun prior to the season last year, I mounted a Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20 Turkey Pro.  I'm planning to just run the scope again this year and have a FF3 coming for next year.  I'll be mounting it on a 336 base after I have an additional hole added to the 336.  If you want to mount a base to the factory holes, Model 700 front bases fit.  I used two M700 front weaver bases on mine to mount the scope.  Planned to use one and use a FF on a pic mount since I have a couple spares, but like the 336 much better due to the lower profile.

Have a good one,

Loder

Ol Yelper

Hey there Reloader, I also have the Win. SXP with the TruGlo sights, Did you take them off when you put your scope on? And if you did, how? I tried and they seem to be on there forever. Any ideas? Thanks much!

Reloader

OY,

I backed the screws off, then stuck a snug flat blade screw driver in the slot and twisted to open them a bit. 

Ol Yelper

Thanks friend. Will give that a try.