OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Harvesting hogs on a turkey hunt

Started by hrpp20, March 15, 2016, 10:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrpp20

The wma where I'm planning my turkey hunt this year also happens to be one of my favorite spots for hog hunting in late summer. Don't really expect to see any hogs in the area where I'll be looking for turkeys, but you know, you go where the gobbles take you. If you wanted to be prepared to harvest a hog, what would you have with you? Anything special? Or would a headshot with x-full choke and Winchester long beards going to be enough to knock him over?

yella yelper

They laughed at me when I blasted one at 10 yards with Hevi 6s... Could see the impact on him but kept on trucking and never slowed down

silvestris

Shoot the vermin in the eyes and let' see if a blind hog can really find.  An acorn.  Detrimental  to native game and property.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Marc

I'd guess that Dead Coyote by Hevi-Shot will kill one close enough...  Not sure if it is legal to carry that type of ammo while turkey hunting (it is not in California)...  Probably roll a pig at 30 yards and a turkey at 80 with that stuff...  My buddy kills coyotes out to 60 fairly consistently (but a pig is considerably tougher to kill).

I'd put a Rifle in the truck, with the knowledge it could be pretty tempting for someone unscrupulous...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

kyturkeyhunter4

Trulock has a new choke out called Boar Buster, You can shoot OOO Buck and OO Buck from what have heard it supposed to be a awesome choke tube.

Dr Juice

Hmmm ... Turkey wrapped with bacon sounds awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamblinman

Here in TX, I usually carry a couple of 0000 buckshot loads just in case. It will kill pigs at close range. Federal Heavyweight pretty much bounces off of them, although they will squeal for a half mile.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Gobspur

Can you concealed carry a sidearm while hunting in your state?

WisTurk

If you can carry a sidearm while you hunt, I would do that instead.

jblackburn

Quote from: lindllc on March 16, 2016, 07:44:07 AM
Can you concealed carry a sidearm while hunting in your state?

This is what I would do (if legal), may have to have a CC permit, but thats a question for someone else.  otherwise I'd be too nervous to put buckshot through a turkey choke and trying to change chokes while hunting seems like a nightmare to me.  I guess you could invest in an over-under turkey gun, one barrel loaded for birds, the other for hogs?
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

chcltlabz

I would check your local laws on the legality of carrying shells for both.  Most states have restrictions on shot size, so it may not be legal to carry buckshot for hogs while you are turkey hunting.  Similar to carrying lead shells while you're duck hunting.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

hrpp20

In Georgia, Buckshot is legal to carry while turkey hunting except on wma's. :( what a bummer. May be making room for my .45 on my belt this time.

Swamp Hunter

I've killed probably 10-12 hogs of various sizes with 3" 4's while turkey hunting. They ranged in size from 200lbs down to 50lbs. You need to be within 10-15 yards to kill the bigger ones with a head or neck shot.  My farthest kill shot was about 30yds but he was only about 50lbs. I had one 200lb boar run off that I did not find. I hit him too far back and messed up his shoulder and he didn't stop even though he was running on three legs. I only hunt private land and they are pests where I hunt. I will kill every one I can no matter what size. A pregant sow is the best one to shoot because you get so many kills with one shot. Sounds cruel but I put them in the same category as rats.

Cottonmouth

2 yrs ago I walked up on a bunch of bedded hogs while turkey hunting and I killed a 150 lb sow and a little pig with some Nitro 4-5-6. The sow was about 20 yds and she rolled up. The pig was in a group of 3 running away side by side and I aimed at the middle one hoping to get more than one. Pattern only wide enough to hit one. He was about as big as a swamp rabbit.

WyoHunter

Quote from: WisTurk on March 16, 2016, 08:18:06 AM
If you can carry a sidearm while you hunt, I would do that instead.
Great advice!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!