turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help on setting up on a bird

Started by RiverRoost, March 15, 2016, 03:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Got a bird to gobble this morning after daylight and by time I got to him it was real bright out so I setup as close/safe/quick as possible. The birds are roosted out over a flooded bottom pretty close where the pin is dropped. Between the lane leading to the plot and the edge of the water is prob 40 yards or so. This morning they pitched down and strutted in the woods just between water and the lane then moved on toward where the lane meets up to plot and crossed.

Should I go in in the dark and put my hen decoy in the woods between water and lane in an open spot or in the lane or in the field? Plan on doing this well before daylight and sitting and ready at daylight.

The corner of lane and plot looks good bc maximum shooting distance both in plot and down lane. Or be in the woods w deke out. Somewhat worried if deke is in lane or plot they may not see it off roost or immediately.
P.S. The location on top of map is not the same town I'm hunting in just fyi. Just the last place I got directions to

Dtrkyman

I assume there is not any cover so I would hunt where I could hide best, if it were green I would get in tight and if they gave me the slip I would try and beat them to the plot.

Farmboy27

If the birds are consistent and you have the patience then setting up within range of where the road meets the field will get you a bird.  No decoy needed, calling optional!! 

omegafoo

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 15, 2016, 05:08:03 PM
If the birds are consistent and you have the patience then setting up within range of where the road meets the field will get you a bird.  No decoy needed, calling optional!!

^This^ IF they are consistent. If not and they behave like turkeys, you're screwed because they'll go down the lane while you're in the woods or vice versa! ;)

bbcoach

My intuition tells me they are flying down and working toward the field to feed early in the morning and then moving back into the timber later in the morning then making a return trip back through in the evening going back to roost.  I would go in, the first morning, and setup in the eastern most set of trees on the field, probably 10 yards in on the eastern point (changed to the east from south after paying attention to due north).  I would listen and observe their movements through the field.  If a bird is in range, take him.  If not then once you have them patterned, then setup where you know they normally move through and soft call.  You can do the same in the afternoons, if you can hunt afternoons.  Good Luck!

hotspur

It's early season moving is risky, set up at food plot. You know where they want to go.

fallhnt

I like to go in early and set up to hunt close to the roost.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

hotspur

At daylight when he gobbles set up between him and the food plot

g8rvet

Couple of questions.

You say "they" pitched down.  Were you close enough to hear/see birds or did you hear him/them gobbling going away? The reason I ask is if you are competing with hens.  If I was competing with hens, I would go to the field as that is their likely destination and ole Tom will likely follow. 

Also, I hunt a similar plot - very similar in fact, but I do not have permission to hunt the other side of the water.  So if I bump them to the other side, they are gone for a while.  Every move I make there is less aggressive now.  I have had birds roosted 2-300 yards from the field take 2 hours to show up.  But there, I have no competition and I know if they don't show up that day, they will another day. 

One more day of intel would be valuable (with gun in hand of course).  They may not roost that close again, and will be nice to know if they still head to the food plot.  If that is not the most likely routine, then moving into the woods may be indicated.  I always figure I can't know what a Tom is gonna do on any given day because he doesn't know. Patterns are general,  not specific. 

How I would hunt that bird would have a lot to do with competition and if I only had a couple days to hunt him and then could not get back out for a week.  In that case, I would be a little more aggressive.  Especially if there was competition for the bird.

Please post the pics of him when you are standing on his head! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RiverRoost

He was with hens opening morning. They pitched into the narrow strip of woods between the water and plot and lane. They crossed the lane right where it enters the plot and hit the woods and cut over to a road that T's in w the road that runs to the plot.

Cottonmouth

If he is roosted with hens, I wouldn't get real aggressive calling. Just some light yelps clucks and purrs. Where I am in MS, these hens don't put up with a lot of cutting and such. I've killed a lot of birds just purring and scratching leaves. A good indication is if he shuts up after flying down. If he keeps gobbling,  pour it to him if you want and get him before the hens move in. If he is still giving you trouble,  late season afternoon hunts are deadly here. Just don't expect a ton of gobbling. Usually the will just sneak in for a look so be ready. Good luck

jbrown

I would set up at the plot within 35yds of where road enters plot. If the first patch of bushes in the field has good cover, I'd look closely at that spot. If they gobble, Wait untill you think hes ready to fly down, then I would tree call 1 time, do a wing fly down, 15 sec later QUIET 5 note yelp....deadly! After that, I would not call again unless they get way off coarse. Get there early, sneak in quietly and give them plenty of time to show up.

TRG3

I get in there early to set up my decoys and use a red filter over my flashlight to aid me in the process. Many animals don't see red, especially in the dark.

ridgerunner

Set up in the field..that seems to be the direction they wanna move anyways...I'd set up in the field.

Captain Hooks

I would be safe then sorry.  If they are consistently going the same direction I would  Take your time and set up near the field edge.  If you spook them on the roost you just wasted a hunt