turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Aluminum pot

Started by Txag12, March 15, 2016, 07:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txag12

Looking at the aluminum calls available on Midwest, looking at lights out anodized in yellow heart pot and the Lonzo Birdseye maple anodized..are either easier to run? Similarities and differences between the two? Leaning towards the Lonzo, heard good things but not sure how it performs in the maple pot

Thanks

MikeStaten

Bowguy

Out of Midwest Id go Lonzo, if you call makers directly you have more options

boatpaddle

Quote from: Bowguy on March 15, 2016, 11:00:37 AM
Out of Midwest Id go Lonzo, if you call makers directly you have more options

:z-winnersmiley:
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Txag12

Called mr trice today and spoke to him about getting one direct from him, putting a money order in the mail tomorrow for one of his anodized aluminum wood pot calls. I just told him to pick whichever wood he felt sounded best. Now, being just anodized, and my understanding not bead or powder blasted, what is the best way y'all have found on maintaining this call and making it a runner? Also, any recommended strikers? Thanks fellas

Bowguy

For strikers dymondwood or Snakewood

thuber

Anodizing is a hard finish. The call should not need to be conditioned. If you condition it you'll take away the anodizing. You have to lighten up on the way you hold the striker. Most anodized calls are ready to make turkey sounds you just have to address them differently with the striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.W. Mackey

There are several striker woods that sound good with Aluminum. Osage, Purple Heart, Cedar, Hickory
And my favorite Black Locust.
  All Pot calls will at some time need to be conditioned/re-surfaced, fingerprints, dust, dirt ,grime and just everyday use. Everyone has a different technique, I'd suggest you ask mr. Lonzo what he suggest
For his call.

RW
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

Cut*N*Run

If the call is anodized but not blasted, you'll need to condition it. Start with rough sandpaper- maybe 80 grit- just in the area you'll play it, and then try it. If it sounds like it needs finer lines, go down to 110. I usually do 80 to start and then smooth it out a bit with a scotch brite pad.

The aluminum disks that most of us use are just anodized on one side and anodized and blasted on the other. The callmaker can put either side facing up. The blasted side is ready to go, but you don't usually get as much rasp with it.

goblr77

Quote from: Txag12 on March 15, 2016, 07:07:47 PM
Called mr trice today and spoke to him about getting one direct from him, putting a money order in the mail tomorrow for one of his anodized aluminum wood pot calls. I just told him to pick whichever wood he felt sounded best. Now, being just anodized, and my understanding not bead or powder blasted, what is the best way y'all have found on maintaining this call and making it a runner? Also, any recommended strikers? Thanks fellas

Lonzo's aluminum sounds good but you'll need to scuff it up a bit with sandpaper to get the striker to grab like you'll want.