OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice topic

Started by harvester, February 09, 2011, 07:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfd1027

I really want to follow you guys with a video camera. lol        :fud::character0029:
Dan

gob09

unclerick

Quote from: gob09 on February 10, 2011, 09:34:50 PM
i just hunt with you bc i have too.......

the fly down is awsome
Because you have to???? Dang your hard on my feelings..  :z-loveshower:
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

mfd1027

Gobble???   This is a controversial call and some folks get all upset if you advise people to use it.    Just use common sense.   I use gobbles and "gobbler yelps" all the time.   Gobblers come to the gobble call.   I use it to create jealousy.  I gobble/gobbler yelp with a mouthcall so I don't carry a shaker or use my box call to gobble with.  There's lot's of gobble call's out there.   If you mainly hunt public land learn how to gobbler yelp with a mouthcall. I use a heavy reeded 2 reed call with a really deep pitch and i usually yelp with a 2 note sequence.  yelp yelp. Maybe I'll try to record a gobbler yelp so you guys can hear what I'm talking about.  I've thought about adding a line to my call's of the exact call i use.    I wish I had had a camera with me last year on one hunt because I had a mature bird cross a field coming rt. to me and he yelped the whole way but always with the same yelp yelp sequence.  It would have made awesome footage.   I will usually add a gobbler yelp in a scenario when an approaching gobbler is just taking too long to get there.  I usually turn my head 180 deg. away from my last contact and I'll either gobble or gobbler yelp.   It doesn't always work but on those that it does work on it happens quick.   I'm not real good at gobbling with a mouthcall but good enough to kill birds with it.   
Dan

gob09

i was huntin with my cousin last year on AEDC it was getting late and all we seen was a hen that came in to ten yrds. when we was gettin ready to leave he gobbled and we got a response we barely heard it and it was almost roost time so we left i wanted to go to him but being in the middle of 40,000 acres after dark aint fun with a scardy cat like him i beleave he went back the next day and killed one close to where we were at

harvester

I have heard a gobbler yelp before but it sounds like hell in my opinion. I have tried to duplicate that sound but with the calls I got, I can't get the sound he made out of any of them. I am interested in the heavy 2 reed mouthcall you are talking about. How could I get my hands on one of them? Your the only person that I have heard talk about a mouthcall you can gobbler yelp with. PM sent.

mfd1027

I've got you covered Dustin.   I made a few refinements last night and think I've got it perfect.  If the video comes out any good I'll put a link on here for you guys to critique. lol  Man, I wish I would have recorded that gobbler yelping last yr.   the only vid. I can find on the net is at wild turkey zone and it's lousy.   
Dan

harvester

Quote from: mfd1027 on February 12, 2011, 10:20:51 AM
I've got you covered Dustin.   I made a few refinements last night and think I've got it perfect.  If the video comes out any good I'll put a link on here for you guys to critique. lol  Man, I wish I would have recorded that gobbler yelping last yr.   the only vid. I can find on the net is at wild turkey zone and it's lousy.   

Great deal, can't wait to give it a try. I'm sure it will sound great. Thanks. I will definitly let you know what I think.

keyser12ga

Lots of good information here.  Already have gotten some info I'm going to try this spring, primarily the use of the keekee which I thought was primarily a fall call, and the gobbler yelp.  I hunt state land so I'm still not going to use the gobble. 

Dan, When you talk about calling softly, how softly are we talking?  Are there any good ways to gauge how loud you are calling?  I know it would probably be hard to put into words.

harvester

How did the video turn out on the gobbler yelping Dan?

mfd1027

Dustin.  I recorded a short video just to see how the call sounded and I think it's gonna be fine.   The key to gobbler yelping is more about cadence/pitch than anything.   You want to sound totally different than your other call's with a deeper pitch and slow yelping.  I try to yelp 2-3 times really slowly and the call I made up makes up for the pitch.  I found something interesting with the call.  It has a pure cutting sound which is kind of neat.  I think you could run a neat sequence yelping on a box or pot ,followed by some cutt'n and then turn your head and do some gobbler yelping.   I'll see if I can put something together tomorrow.   Before I put something out there I want to be sure the call runs with the same pitch after I let it dry out on the counter top over night.    I know you will have to break it loose to get the tone rt. for gobbler yelping.   

Josh.   I don't think you can learn to call too softly.   It's great practice to learn how to call at an almost inaudible level.   Anyone can learn to call loud.  Learning how to call softly is what separates caller's.   You'll probably hear more gobbles if you're a loud caller but you'll kill more gobblers if you call softly.   Soft calling keeps them looking and they will advance farther when they're looking for that hen (you).   In some ways I think they're a lot like us in the way they find us.   As noise (yelping) goes in their ears they expect to see a hen within a certain distance from where they're at and if that noise is pretty loud they expect to find that hen pretty quick and do what some folks call "hang up".     If they can barely hear a noise (yelp/cluck/etc.) they will move farther from where they are at to get closer to that hen and therefore get closer to you.   BOOOOM!!!    Learn how to do those soft little yelps, clucks, etc.   Purring is tough to get rt. but if you can purr by all means purr.  It took me a long time to learn how to yelp just one time but it was important to me because I've heard hens do it so much when a gobbler gets close and they're doing that single clucking they do when they're on that "final approach".   It also took me a long time to learn to love the silence gobblers nearly always exhibit on that "final approach".   We all want those birds that gobble all the way to their death but it just doesn't happen that much.    Like i said before I just leave my gun on my lap and wait em out nice and comfortable.   I love it when I hear footsteps and that "loud" single cluck. 
Don't forget the best soft/close call of all time"scratching in the leaves".      Man, I got my heartbeat up!!! lol
Dan

harvester

Well its happening again, waddells is swellin up, beard is stickin out, heads gettin short on blood and turning white with a little blue. May start gobblin with all this warm weather. :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :fud: :newmascot: :smiley-char092:

unclerick

Quote from: harvester on February 14, 2011, 02:14:01 AM
Well its happening again, waddells is swellin up, beard is stickin out, heads gettin short on blood and turning white with a little blue. May start gobblin with all this warm weather. :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :fud: :newmascot: :smiley-char092:
:TooFunny:
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

harvester

Quote from: mfd1027 on February 13, 2011, 10:44:51 PM
Dustin.  I recorded a short video just to see how the call sounded and I think it's gonna be fine.   The key to gobbler yelping is more about cadence/pitch than anything.   

When you gonna let us see it.

mfd1027

It was more of a sound check than anything.  If I'm going  to put something on Youtube which is what I have to do to put it on here I need to look a little more presentable.   I'll see what I can do tomorrow. 
Dan