OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice topic

Started by harvester, February 09, 2011, 07:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

Quote from: moore on February 17, 2011, 03:22:48 PM
I in the turkey woods at sunrise and start hunting when they are already on the ground for the most part.I got a question for you guys,when did you get out in the woods ,and when do they come off the roost. can you for the most part predict what time they come off.Last year I had this big gobbler came off the roost way past sunrise

I prefer to go out when you can barely see how to walk without a flashlight, unless I know where he is roosted, which is very seldom, then I would go in well before light, like deer hunting. Setup and wait until I hear him or can see ok, then I will start off with a few light yelps but mostly clucks. After I get his attention, I hush until he gobbles a couple more times, trying to make him think I didn't hear him. After that I start gettin a little louder, just enough to say hear I AM. Then I wait on his next move unless I hear hens near him and then I will copy everything they do. I want to act interested but I'm not coming to him. Turn your head and call just a bit more, like your facing the other way. If he gobbles back just sit back and wait. Most of  the time he will commit and come on in. As far as predictin when they will come off roost, there is no real way to predict that. I have seen them still on the limb two hours after good light and be on the ground at first light. They are waiting on the limb for the hens to come to them. I hope my answer will help and maybe somebody else will add to it.

gob09

write all you want danyou have some awesome advice ive been knowe to clean a good size area too thought i was just being too paticular

unclerick

For me personely I like to get in there about 1 1/2 hrs before light if I can, espeacaily if I have a long ways to walk, gives me time to get there and get a good set up going, plus I'm just so slow and if Wes is with me, it gives me time to catch up, (don't it), If I know where the birds are at and know sorta where they're going I'll set up somewhere in their path.

Keep the great advice comeing Dan, it helps.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

unclerick

Hey do any of you guys have a problem with all your mouth calls sounding the same? I have noticed and was also told that no matter what diaphram I'm useing they all sound the same.

Any suggestions?
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

mfd1027

LOL-  Long PM sent.    :z-paddy-smiley113:
Dan

harvester

Quote from: unclerick on February 18, 2011, 09:16:36 PM
Hey do any of you guys have a problem with all your mouth calls sounding the same? I have noticed and was also told that no matter what diaphram I'm useing they all sound the same.

Any suggestions?

No not really. I have been gettin different sounds out of all of mine. What kind are they, how many reeds etc...

Dan would probably be the best person to answer this. I don't have much advice unless I could actually hear you use them personally. Sorry.