turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When Do You Scout?

Started by AC HAMMER, March 13, 2016, 05:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC HAMMER

There are many different opinions on what is "too early and "too close to season" for scouting. Patterns change from winter to Spring which makes it a tricky process to scout too early; however, a lot of people don't like being in the woods too close to season for fear of spooking birds. When do you scout?

nativeks

I was out this morning. 8 different birds gobbling within 200 yards of my back door. One was 100 yards or less.

WNCTracker

4 weeks before the season opens

Bowguy

Imo you should absolutley not "be in the woods". That being said if so make it very very limited n do it low impact. I normally start scouting by looking for them visually in mid Feb to early March, by early to mid March by hearing them. Yes the winter flocks break up n move but they don't leave the county. I call it keeping tabs on em n once I find a bunch I normally try em stay with their movements by listening or looking every chance I can. Over time you'll actually know what phase things are in by their locations n you'll know where to expect them next. Can't find too many birds, like money in the bank

OldSchool

I like to get out starting a few weeks before season and I continue to scout right up til the opener, but my scouting closer to season here by the house consists of sitting on top of a big hill where I can see a long ways and watching the birds with binos. I'll do this on and off through the season in the afternoons and evenings too.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

MK M GOBL

I do some "light" pre-scouting about 3-4 weeks before seasons start, this is more or less done from the truck. A good ear and binos are doing a lot of the work. When I get within 2 weeks of season, it's game plan time and serious scouting is going on and I am locating 25+ birds so I know where they are. I am continuously scouting though to the end of the season.

MK M GOBL

fallhnt

I hunt public,so I wait till the season starts. All the crap that goes on where I hunt makes the birds change there pattern for the most part.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

darron

In Ohio I start scouting now to see how many birds r in the area since they've grouped up. I start getting serious about April 1. I will also use March to walk over new property.

JK Spurs

I started here in PA last week a couple mornings before work. I'll probably get out a couple more times in March and then hit it hard a few weeks before the season opens. My Dad, recently retired, is not a turkey hunter but enjoys time in the forest so he keeps a running tally for me on what he's hearing. He's my unpaid assistant I tell him...
I like my turkey well peppered

ilbucksndux

I like to kep tabs on the winter flocks and get out and look for them,usually from a distance. After they start to break up I go out to my hunting areas early in the morning and listen for them. I try and keep it low impact and stay out of the woods.
Gary Bartlow

grayfox

Quote from: fallhnt on March 13, 2016, 06:29:58 PM
I hunt public,so I wait till the season starts. All the crap that goes on where I hunt makes the birds change there pattern for the most part.

Pretty much what I do.

Gooserbat

Ill be starting this week
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

If you don't know your turf well you should be in the timber mid-day right now learning it.

We secured access to a new piece several weeks ago and started walking it immediately to evaluate habitat characteristics, see the topography and identifying hang-ups.  I don't like to be in the timber disrupting birds as the season draws closer so we tend to take care of the "in the woods" stuff in the late fall. 

I'll actually start listening for birds here in VA starting next weekend.  As for my out of state hunting.... I tend to scout-hunt my first day or two when I'm in a new place so I can make more informed decisions as the hunt progresses.

Marc

I live over an hour from my turkey hunting spots, and getting away to hunt is difficult enough...  I scout whenever I can, and if I could scout the day before I would...

Nice thing about the Rio's I hunt is that they are vocal.  Driving down a gravel road in which the birds are used to traffic is a great way to scout and figure out where birds are...  I avoid calling, unless I am hunting a new area and have no idea if there are even birds on the property.  If I get a response, my calling stops immediately.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

snapper1982

OP there is nothing wrong with scouting close to season. It is my preferred method. 1 week before season. I will keep tabs and scout as i shed hunt but i get serious right before season.