OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Warmer than Usual Spring = Earlier Breeding, Laying and Nesting???

Started by bbcoach, March 12, 2016, 03:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Here in Eastern NC, we have been experiencing some of the most unusually warm weather that I've seen in 40 years.  We have had upper 70's to low 80's weather for about a week now and the 10 day extended forecast has us continuing this trend.  I went out Thursday to do some shooting lane maintenance and my winter rye is about 6 inches tall, my clover is rebounding very nicely and even the wild blackberries have greened up and developing leaves.  We normally don't get this weather until late April early May.  My question to all of you is if this weather continues will this speed up the breeding, egg laying and nesting or is it more of a time issue?  Our season doesn't open until the 9th of April.

Tail Feathers

The biologists say it's the length of the day, not the weather.  Seems to make sense, weather can fool 'em, the length of day is more consistent year to year and seems to fit in with recurring cyclical breeding.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bbcoach

If the biologists are correct and it is the length of the day as stated, then all the breeding etc. would be done at the same time throughout the US.  Sarasota, Florida has 11 hours and 55 minutes of daylight today, Fayetteville NC has 11 hours 57 minutes, Seattle, Washington has 11 hours and 44 minutes.  Just trying to wrap my head around this.  Also why do they start spring turkey season in South Florida the first week of March and work north if it's based on the length of the day as well?

nativeks

Turkeys here are still in winter flocks here and we are running 15 degrees above normal.

turkeyfoot

Warm weather does not greatly influence nesting and will not start breeding earlier and just remember in perfect situation hens should be mostly bred before season starts its better for overall population and it won't make toms stop responding to calls here in NC I've seen them still respond after season many times into last May Early June

turkeyfoot

With warmer weather it just gets the hunter more ready than the birds

RemingtonRules

The one that knows the answer is not talking.  Everything else is guesswork.   :toothy12:

owlhoot

What happened to the dogwoods blooming for the peak of the breeding season
Have noticed a difference from north to south Missouri
Length of day??

MAKEemQUIVER

Seems like it is around the same time every year to me, sure it may be a little earlier or later on a given year but not by much. Everyone has their preferences but Id love to see hens bred early. Im in Ky and I always have great hunts the first week of May. For the most part the hens have been bred by then and you can find some lonely hot gobblers.
We have had some very nice weather here so far in March and it doesnt seem to be speeding the turkeys up any. Come on April!!!
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

Gumby

wytrat785

Was out doing some scouting today and spotted this solo longbeard strutting with 16 hens. Kinda grainy pic due to a not so great cell phone camera. Other surprise was this is in an area I've hunted for years and it's now posted non-toxic shot only now.

Big perm2

I'm seeing big groups of hens still together also. Not much gobbling either.. It is unusually warm here also.. And it's suppose to be in mid 80's next week a day or two..

Talkem into given up!!!

J-Shaped

Turkeys are gonna be turkeys. I promise you, they ain't stressing over the temperature. Just remember this...you must be present to win.

HogBiologist

Quote from: bbcoach on March 12, 2016, 05:22:16 PM
If the biologists are correct and it is the length of the day as stated, then all the breeding etc. would be done at the same time throughout the US.  Sarasota, Florida has 11 hours and 55 minutes of daylight today, Fayetteville NC has 11 hours 57 minutes, Seattle, Washington has 11 hours and 44 minutes.  Just trying to wrap my head around this.  Also why do they start spring turkey season in South Florida the first week of March and work north if it's based on the length of the day as well?

Breeding is based off length of day. Just like the rut is based off length (photo period) of day. You will have regional variations due to genetics. Louisiana deer have a huge range of rut dates because of genetic traits influenced by flooding. With turkeys the breeding begins based on the hens internal sun dial. Different areas will have different starting times due to when the best potential laying time occurs. The genetic trait for that timing was carried and passed down through generations. In south Florida, turkeys can breed earlier than Turkeys in north Missouri. Therefore the season can begin earlier.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Gumby

HogBiologist, what (if any) affect do you think food source availability and foliage change has on the hens' hormonal changes. I know some studies have attributed a slight affect to these indirect weather results but I'm not sure I buy it. Possibly food source has some affect.