OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Camo VS Black Clothing from inside a ground blind?

Started by jtoliver43, March 09, 2016, 10:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoliver43

So I bought a ground blind this year and this will be the first year that I hunt from one. Mainly because my goal is to get my GF on her first bird this year. Im typically a run and gun type of hunter myself. I figure she could get away with more movement from inside the blind vs up against a tree. Theres no way she could sit still if a bird was closing in on us. So my question is do you guys feel that I should set us up in black top clothing, gloves, and mask to better blend in with the black interior of the blind? Or do you think that would be unnecessary ? the reason I ask is because I see a lot of bow hunters wear all black in the blind.
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

fallhnt

If you have a blind that the front is all open,like a Dark Horse or whatever Primos calls em' now,black can help. If the blind has small windows black isn't needed. Most people have the blind to open or facing the wrong direction and birds can see hunter movement inside. The bird in my avatar was shot out of a Dark Horse in the camo I have on.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dtrkyman

set up your blind and have someone wear black inside, walk a few yards away and try to find them in there, as long as the back is closed up you just can not see them, even when they move.

Is it necessary no, but you are basically invisible so why wouldn't you?  I have drawn my bow undetected with dozens of birds withing 20 yards of me with zero issue, they just do not see you!

Flounder

otinhunter

My family and I have camo and black we have on black inside the blind and have the camo just in case we have to move outside the blind.

CMBOSTC

I use a double bull myself, I wear a black balaclava, shirt and gloves. The other thing that I do is get in the very back of the blind away from the open window. 

Chris

stinkpickle

owlhoot

Black or a very dark camo inside
White face or hands will really show up in a darkened blind
Just remember black outside is the color of a tom so don't wear a hat or coat in black if you venture out ,just like red blue or white .

MK M GOBL

Have done both with no real difference in results, (dead birds) I like the camo because if it ends up as a run & gun later I have my camo on. We kill birds at 10-12 yards with the bow and 15-17 with the shotgun. I have several Double Bulls and the biggest thing is making sure what is behind you is "Blacked Out" no stray light sources to show your movement. Another tip with the blind, when I use my 5 hubs it is always set up as a diamond to where I am facing, not the typical square face. Gives you more "room" inside to move and I "Cat Eye" the 180 window.

MK M GOBL

snapper1982

Do not open to many windows and you will be fine with just your camo. Open to many windows and you will not be fine no matter what color you have on.

Dan Mallia

I've killed em wearing camo and killed em wearing black.
Biggest issue is making sure it's dark inside the blind.

rock54

my wife and i are blind hunters, she cant sit still, we wear black headnet and black jacket, we have had

hens walk within arms distance from our blind and didnt even know we were there, the key we think is

absolute silence, good luck to you, russ

Cullenhunter

Before hunting with your new blind, be sure to mud it up. Waterfowlers regularly do this with their coffin blinds before they hunt. Mudding up a blind is exactly what it sounds like. Set up the blind, make some mud, and wipe down the entire blind with it. Four or five handfuls should do the whole thing. The goal is to take the sheen off the fabric. Even though it's camouflage, the sun will produce a glare on new fabric. You might as well be hunting in an aluminum Airstream camper. Leave the mud on for a day or two and then just brush off what is left with your hand.
Cullen's future best turkey hunter
Hoyt vector turbo
Rem 1100 lt 20 ga
Hr 12 ga

MEbeardlover

I hunt both deer and turkey from ground blinds on occasion. If at all possible, I will wear black. No question it blends better. Usually just something on the upper is all that is required. However, the most important issue is to avoid direct sunlight shining into the blind, keeping face and hands covered, and making sure there are no large openings behind you.

Bill Cooksey

Quote from: owlhoot on March 11, 2016, 04:40:09 PM
Just remember black outside is the color of a tom so don't wear a hat or coat in black if you venture out ,just like red blue or white .

Was about to post this very thing. Don't wear black outside of the blind.