turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Using decoys after I move.

Started by M7trevlyn, March 09, 2016, 04:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M7trevlyn

So this fall I'm moving from Kansas to Arizona in October and am wondering if I should sell my decoys.

dirt road ninja

GobbleNut

Like everywhere else, they are times and places where decoys would likely be helpful when hunting the mountain Merriam's of the west.  Sticking a decoy or two in the ground in front of you is probably not going to hurt your chances, but they are very often not necessary.

If you like to hunt by sticking your decoys in the ground somewhere and waiting for a gobbler to wander into range to see them, then that kind of hunting out west is generally not a very productive method compared to an active "run and gun" or "search and destroy" strategy.  However, if you hunt by proactively looking to find gobbling birds, set your decoys out once you find one, and then try to call them into visual-contact range, they can most certainly be an aid. 

If you want my advice as a western hunter, I would tell you to hunt without the decoys for a while.  I think you will eventually find that you enjoy hunting that way more so than by lugging the decoys around and/or sitting over them watching the weeds grow.  Over the next ridge you may find a gobbler than is perfectly willing to come to your calling, with or without the dekes.

stinkpickle

Quote from: M7trevlyn on March 09, 2016, 04:37:10 PM
So this fall I'm moving from Kansas to Arizona in October and am wondering if I should sell my decoys.

Just send them to me.  I will dispose of them properly.  ;)

MK M GOBL

I guess I would sell them so I could buy some DSD's if I didn't already own them :)

MK M GOBL

Marc

I have come to using decoys less and less here in California...  But I am not considering selling them.  I plan on hunting with my young daughter this season, and I see an advantage of using the decoys to possibly put the birds where I want them, and possibly divert some attention from the blind (which will actually be a first for me).

You will not get what they are worth, and you might get there and find a real need/use for them...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

M7trevlyn

I guess I was more worried about using Eastern in Merriam country.  I tend to use them when I bow hunt from a blind.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: M7trevlyn on March 09, 2016, 09:17:34 PM
I guess I was more worried about using Eastern in Merriam country.  I tend to use them when I bow hunt from a blind.

Has never made a difference for me, my decoys are "easterns"... I would think if you wanted to a little air brushing would fix them right up to be species specific for that region.

MK M GOBL

fallhnt

Using decoys after you move...will work as good as they did before you moved.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy