OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: decoy shy?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline hotspur

decoy shy?
« on: March 09, 2016, 03:08:02 PM »
Any experience with decoy shy turkeys ? Any tips on decoy shyness?

Offline Ericbrooks

decoy shy?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »
Leave the dekes in the truck and sit tight and call sparingly. They heard you and will eventually come check it out. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline allchokedup

• Longbeard
Re: decoy shy?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »
I use decoys and the only time I had a bird get shy is with a strutter. I don't use a strutter much, but use a jake and hen most of the time. Never had a bird shy from that setup. Decoys are a lot of fun to use and can add some excitement to your hunt.
IMO DSD makes the best decoys.
Good luck, David

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 08:16:16 PM »
I hunt with decoys and have had great results! I do use a strutter from start of season to end and have had everything from a jake to the boss of the timber killed over him. I own several DSD's (3 hen styles, Jake and Strutter) and IMHO you can not buy a better decoy! There is a learning curve to hunting with decoys "right", I have a method that works for my style of hunting and  I have well over 175 birds down using them. There is a method to my strategy from seasons start till seasons end...

MK M GOBL

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:22:30 PM by MK M GOBL »

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 10:01:50 PM »
Sense you posted in the bowhunting section I assume you are talking bowhunting. Use the decoys. I bowhunt hard hunted public land and the biggest issue I have is blind shy turkeys. Turkeys want to be around other turkeys. So calling and decoys are the bowhunters best friend. Maybe you need to add movement to your decoys. Or maybe you need to use a hen and a jake or just use a hen etc. You didn't give any detail on a hunt that went south so I can just base on my experience. I have birds stay out of range at times in the spring but who knows how many times they got whipped by other birds. But the birds that are coming in and leave just as they see the blind,IMO, leave the blind in the truck. These birds have had ugly experiences around blinds. Hunters throw the blind off after a shot, loud noises coming from the blind in the form of gunfire, and the blind set up wrong so hunter movement inside is easily seen by turkeys are just a few. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline hotspur

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »
Yes I plan on bow hunting,I've been hunting a lease that has a gun side and a bow side. alot of turkeys on the bow side, I've been calling them off of it for a couple of seasons.now I'm on it ,I've been scouting. In hunting around the bow side I've noticed that there is not alot of pressure, and some hunts when using decoys hens have come from the bow side and are relaxed around the decoy. Talking to others about hunting and they say turkeys go around decoys, or hang up.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 07:52:48 PM »
I've never seen deke shy birds with quality gear. I have seen em blow w bad stuff