OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

question for you decoy guys

Started by hotspur, March 09, 2016, 02:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

I'm gonna do some bowhunting this spring and the reports say the turkeys are decoy shy on the bow lease. What can I try without buying any new decoys, I have a hen decoy with a bobbing head and spring on the stake im gonna tie a line to it like a jerk cord duck decoy, any tips from you guys would be great

Farmboy27

I don't use decoys much but I do in certain situations.  If your season hasn't started yet then the reports that the birds are "decoy shy" is nonsense.  Think about it, if you place a realistic decoy in a realistic manner then it looks like the real thing.  If turkeys would become shy to interacting with their own kind then their numbers would go south in a hurry!!  My guess is that last season some guys had birds bust them for some reason and blamed it on the birds being decoy shy.  Use a quality, lifelike decoy and you should be fine!

dirt road ninja

I'd skip the string and put them in an area the birds are know to frequent and see what happens.

JLH

A good quality decoy make all the difference.

It's funny how people comment on have the eyes of a hawk or eagle eyes.....turkeys have the same keen/color vision.

Why would you skimp on anything, unless you don't value your time.

Buy a DSD jake and hen....or a Deception Outdoors jake and hen and you will see birds actually attack your decoys!

stinkpickle

Old, big blue-headed featherflex's have been pulling in birds for years.  Turkeys ain't picky.

MK M GOBL

I have been using decoys for all of the last 26 years, now not every hunt but when I hit a field or some pastured timber I have them out. I will say 100% that I have the best results I have ever had with my DSD's, and yes I could be using other decoys but not with the same results. I started with a old hard body hen from H.S. and then went to the Feather Flex foam decoys and I did kill birds with these but have never had the same responses I have had with a DSD. So what do I mean by this... the old decoys would lure a bird within range (40 yards) for the most part, since I have changed over to the DSD's I hunt in the 10-12 yard range with a bow and 15-17 yards with the shotgun. So more than just up close, birds (hens) are at ease around my decoys and have held them there for hours, have had them lay down right in the decoys and preen, tuck their head for a nap, feed and even try to lead my decoys away with them. Have had jakes & toms just get infuriated with there presence, have had toms dance around until I decided to shoot, and even had them "breed" my decoys. NONE of this has ever happened with a foam decoy, now I may be there for the show but that is part of my hunt!

MK M GOBL

Dmason3

I'd say skip tying a string to the decoy. You're gonna have enough to worry about with a bow. Set up where you've seen em before. Maybe be at a local hang out or try to call less? Never hunted on a lease....good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Use the decoys and the movement while bowhunting. Just remember,if you bowhunt from a blind you can't set up half azzed.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

hotspur

Thanx guys I figured the guys telling me about decoy shy birds where describing a turkey hanging up, I rarely use decoys and don't want to buy any more, but one guys got me thinking about dsd ????  I've been scouting and found a strut area on the edge of clearcut where two  gobblers have been hanging out, and three roost areas. I plan on using a blind. Good luck to everyone

Dtrkyman

I have bowhunted primarily for turkeys for the past 10 seasons or so, bow only for most of them.  Quality decoys make a huge difference!!!  I had a taxidermist for a client years ago and he gave me a mounted hen, prior to that I was not not much of a decoy fan, the results of that decoy were remarkable.

Sure guys kill birds with lesser dekes but the dsd and similar are a huge advantage, particularly while bowhunting, spend as much as you can afford for a quality deke!!!

I hunt a farm in northern Il. and the birds up there many times decoy shy even with the stuffer, and that is not late season it is immediately, I think the pressure over the years in that area has made them that way, sure the decoy works, however they rarely throw caution to the wind on that property, and the jake decoys rarely work.  Huge advantage I see with the stuffer is the hens either come in and peck the hell out of it or just simply hang around for long periods of time.

Dan Mallia

Now this has been my experience but I feel that using decoys is almost essential in bowhunting turkeys. I use bullheads and need/want them close (under 10 yards) and keyed on something besides me (I'm in a blind but every little bit helps) I use a dsd jake most days and toms come close to inspect and beat down the jake, offering me that close shot I desire.